Aquarium Salt Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt in Freshwater Aquariums

And small amounts of salt can help your fish even if there freshwater.

Hello ed...

Here's the skinny on using salt as I understand it. It was used for decades as a supplement for "Livebearing" fish because it was believed to strengthen the skin against parasites and these fish were raised in areas of the country with a slightly higher than normal salt content in the breeding waters. A little was used because most fish pathogens can't tolerate even traces of salt in the tank water.

Another reason is, some research at the time showed that the gills worked more easily in water with a trace of salt.

Back in the old days, fishkeepers used it, but apparently, new research shows most aquarium fish don't need it. I use a little, because my fish seem to do better with it than without. I keep the amount to about a teaspoon per every 5 gallons of new water. Even the salt sensative Corydoras I keep, have no problem with it and neither do my plants.

Your call.

B

Do you think aquarium salt would help a rosy red minnow.

Hello ed...

Here's the skinny on using salt as I understand it. It was used for decades as a supplement for "Livebearing" fish because it was believed to strengthen the skin against parasites and these fish were raised in areas of the country with a slightly higher than normal salt content in the breeding waters. A little was used because most fish pathogens can't tolerate even traces of salt in the tank water.

Another reason is, some research at the time showed that the gills worked more easily in water with a trace of salt.

Back in the old days, fishkeepers used it, but apparently, new research shows most aquarium fish don't need it. I use a little, because my fish seem to do better with it than without. I keep the amount to about a teaspoon per every 5 gallons of new water. Even the salt sensative Corydoras I keep, have no problem with it and neither do my plants.

Your call.

B
My tank is half a gallon so how much salt would i put in. a tiny pinch?

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

ed...

I really think a little standard aqaurium salt would benefit freshwater fish in general, but I'm not an authority. A little seems to keep my fish a little healthier, but I'm not a fish biologist and have no way to confirm this. We seem to use it readily if we have a sick tank, so my common sense tells me to use a little regularly, so I don't have to use a lot later.

If you have a 5 gallon bucket with tank replacement water in it, I'd dissolve a teaspoon or so in the bucket.

Just me, though.

B

Aquarium salt is not going to help remedy the issues you have in your current situation. The main issues that need to be dealt with are the .5 gallon tank and lack of filtration+aeration.

I know but i'm just wondering because people say it helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom