Aquarium salt in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anybody know the limits of salinity plants can take? I have cabomba, java fern, and crypt wendtii... Just wondering, cause I always used a little salt with my Bettas in the past. I know some fish treatments for illness include epsom salts. Can you still do that in a planted tank?

This really varies by plant. Some can take upto full brackish water with no ill affects, while others may have problems with even a small amount for preventative measures. PlantGeek does have a list of plants that can tolerate brakish water, beyond that I think it's mostly trial and error.

If at all possible it would be best to remove the fish to a hospital tank/bucket for treatment. That way you don't have to risk your plants and can keep a closer eye on the affected fish.

FWIW Epsom Salt is one of the Dry Ferts you can buy from gregwatson.com to ad Mg to the tank... I don't think that one would hurt anything, in the correct quantities...

Back
Top Bottom