Aquarium Salt / Missing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all :)

A few days ago I noticed my angelfish had a red mark on the area behind the top fin to it's tail. It was a red line along the spine (Although I guess that's not actually where the spine is) which made me think it had rubbed up against something.

Well the next day it was gone.

Like literally gone.

I searched my tank for a body (As in my experience large fish that go missing don't tend to be taking a holiday) but found nothing.

I can only assume it passed on, was torn apart by my clown loaches or something and then sucked into the filter.

Now as I was a bit confused by all this I spoke to my LFS owner who asked me if my angelfish had been swimming diagonally, which it had been, and then suggested my angelfish had been swimming diagonally in an attempt to get salt into it's gills. I was about to purchase some conditioning salt when she then told me my clown loaches would love the salt because they are livebearers however so I promptly decided I'd get a second opinion :lol:.

Cheers in advance (y)

Yeah, that makes no sense to me. Clown loaches are definitely not livebearers.

Aren't they sensitive to salt too?

That's what I thought too.........

Agreed, the comments about the Clown Loaches are the reason I suddenly backed away from their suggestion regarding my angelfish.

HOWEVER they did predict my angelfish swimming diagonally so maybe there is some truth to that element?

That sounds crazy, I've never heard about angelfish and salt.

Loaches are very sensitive to salt. I wouldn't use it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom