Aquarium Salt Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Can anyone please advise. Recently my LFS advised me I should add some Interpet Aqualibrium salt to my tank to help keep a more healthy set up regarding stress and disease along with other things. Only thing is the instructions are confusing me a little. My tank is 110litres (just under 30gallons). I have following fish in tank

4 corydoras catfish
3 x-ray tetra
4 guppies
3 red wag platy
6 neon tetra

For general use as a tonic and mild ph buffer instructions say to add 1tsp(teaspoon) per gallon. Therefore should I be adding nearly 30tsp. Is this correct ? Or to use to help keep fish stress free and less prone for disease they say to add 1tbsp(tablespoon) per gallon therefore 30tbsp ? My LFS though advised that due to combination of fish I keep I should half the dosage recommended in instructions above. Once added this level of salt should be maintained after water changes. This still seems like a lot of salt to add to my freshwater set up so any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nick

Last edited:
Regular Aq salt is typically dosed @ 1 tbls (tablespoon) per 5g HOWEVER most on here will advise to only use it if you are treating for something such as Ich or fin rot, etc. & not to use it all the time as a preventive.

If you do use it start the dosage low add 1 tbs every other day not all at once, neons are soft water fish and do not like having much in the water and a massive loading dose could be bad

Using Aquarium Salt

Hello nick...

You can use salt made to go into a fresh water aquarium. Keep the dose to no more than one teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your new tank water. If you use much more than this, some aquatic plants may not tolerate it.

Most aquarium fish, especially your "Livebearers" will do well with this much salt. I use this much in my planted tanks and the fish and plants do fine.

I think it helps keep the fish a bit healthier and most fish pathogens don't tolerate even traces of salt in the tank water.

To me, it makes sense to use a little.

B

i would advise against salt at all, because your cory's are very sensitive to salt and will not tolerate it.

also you can take a look at this article that explains what salt does in the aquarium.

Salt in the Freshwater Aquarium

that article is backed by scientific research with references at the end.

Last edited:
Using Aquarium Salt

Aquarium salt, in small amounts, is fine for salt senative fish like Corydoras. I've used up to teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my replacement water, in my all my Cory tanks for the past few years and have some fish that are around five years old.

You don't have to use salt, that's true. Fish will get along without it. But, it's been used since the hobby started, just as a means of keeping fish calm and breathing easily. One of the largest fish breeders in the Wisconsin area uses up to a tablespoon in every 5 gallons of the new water they run through their tanks.

It's used in large doses to medicate fish for parasite infections, so it seems prudent to use just a bit in the tank routinely, so we don't have to use a lot later.

Just a thought from an "oldschool" tank keeper.

B

+1 with BBradbury. I agree. I've used 1 tsp per 5 gal for years with no problem. I keep corys, and soft water tetras. IF, you happen to live very close to the ocean, I would check my tap water for trace salinity and go from there. In shore, should not be a factor. OS.

I use API Aquarium Salt and never had a problem. I use it intermittently at about a tablespoon per 10 gallons.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I was a little worried when my LFS told me I should be adding some aquarium salt to my freshwater tank even though he is a experienced fish keeper himself. The advice I have got here has greatly reassured me to add some. Thanks armymp327 for the link you sent me regarding this subject. Was really interesting and worrying at same time. This really portrays aquarium salt as being very destructive but surely all these experienced fish keepers who have been using it for ages cannot all be wrong ? Thanks BBradbury for your input too. Think I shall heed your advice and start adding some salt then. Maybe I will add slowly like Cardex said rather than add it all in one go. Will keep a close eye on my fish though to see if any change in characters. Glad I asked. Instructions on box were advising to add quite a lot more than the advice I have got here from experienced fish keepers! Am learning so much from this community. Pros and cons of so many different subjects Like hearing the pros but always worried when I read the cons... Thank you again. Kind regards, Nick

Just wanted to add that if you ever add fish with labrynth organs (anabantoids like gouramis, bettas, etc.) then you will want to forego the salt with them.
It's thought that over-exposure in them can damage their labrynth and liver, just not a risk I'd be willing to take with them.

I do add salt to my non-betta tanks though at 1 tsp per 5 gallons which has been working out well for me over the last 5-6ish years.

Back
Top Bottom