Aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishguy2727 said:
There are multiple articles undoing all the claimed benefits of constant salt use that have been published since a few companies made up some benefits of salt. Try to rely on information that isn't being used to sell a product.

Freshwater fish are exactly that, freshwater. Their gills and kidneys are made to handle freshwater. Again, that recommendation for a dose is absurdly high, 4x any natural body of freshwater, and dozens if not hundreds of times more than many bodies of freshwater (like any Amazonian fish, like the one being discussed in this thread).

To anyone reading this: Please research before using products based just on the manufacturer's claims. You CANNOT rely on back of the box science to run your tank. Check out this article for more information (the author got an article on salt use published in TFH magazine if I remember correctly):
Dispelling Some Myths about Adding Salt to FW Aquariums - Aquarium Forum

Also I'd like to add this, please don't go on one source alone. Find different websites. If you find one website that says fish can fly, but none of the others said that, would you believe it? Use multiple sources.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Also. This thread is about a fish from the Congo river...not the amazon...but I have read many conflicting facts about this. Not just off the back off my container. I've done my research and I do what I think is best yo. What I'll take away from this thread is apparently you don't need to salt. Clearly fishfan has kept fish without and it's been successful and I have kept them with salt and been successful.

Fishbase.org for Ctenopoma acutirostre:
Benthopelagic; freshwater; pH range: 6.0 - 8.0; dH range: 5 - 12

So we are talking about two FRESHwater species. The leaf fish, aka leopard ctenopoma, has a wide chemistry range. The angelfish is from Amazonia. So the more limiting fish would be the angel. No salt.

Keep in mind that a lot of these more debated topics don't have as much to do with immediate results of doing well or not doing well. It is the fish's long term ability to thrive that will be effected. This means that although they may appear healthy (aren't dying, not sick, etc.) they may not live as long, breed as well, grow as large, and may have more illnesses overall. I don't know of angel breeders who always use salt. They will probably have it on hand if needed to treat illness, but won't add it all the time.

Also, when discussing hardness we refer to Ca/Mg or alkalinity, but what really effects the fish is the total dissolved solids. Adding salt of any kind will increase TDS. This is like increasing hardness even if it doesn't actually come up on our test kits.

Guppies are not brackish, neither are mollies for that matter. Both can tolerate high salinities better than other freshwater fish, but they are still freshwater and should not be kept with salt all the time.

That fish is a spotted climbing perch which is common sold under the name leaf fish by stores. And that fish. Is from the Congo.

It is the same thing. This is why it can be dangerous to use only common names (and why I used the scientific name). The Congo is freshwater so I don't see your point.

Good lord, can you two quit? You both have your opinions about whether or not to use salt, and that's ok. But arguing about it isn't gonna help anyone. Maybe you guys should research each others topics. Fishguy researches when to use salt, and predfan research when salt isn't needed, and who knows, maybe we'll all learn something new! But I'm sick of listening to you two fight about who knows more. Yeesh!

Predfan27 said:
What I'll take away from this thread is apparently you don't need to salt. Clearly fishfan has kept fish without and it's been successful and I have kept them with salt and been successful.

Done and done.

Sorry it is annoying. Discussions like this are actually very productive as long as they don't go bad. These are the times I do learn the most. As long as everyone stays civil everyone benefits from the exchange of information and everyone comes out knowing more. A debate forces both sides to provide the information they know about and all readers of that thread from now on have it right in front of them.

Nice debate Predfan.

To you too good sir. And if that's how you feel, I hope to debate with you more often!

I'm still gonna use salt though. Hahaha.

He's gorgeous, they usually don't come in looking that nice.

Predfan27 said:
I have to respectfully disagree. They make salt for freshwater aquariums that help with stress coats. You're suppose to add about a rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons. But you have to make sure that it is the stress coat salt. Marine salt will change a freshwater aquarium to a brackish. Which is clearly not helpful for pure freshwater fish...

Totally disagree. Also, salt is salt. Add ANY salt and you raise salinity. Honestly, do some research and you'll see. The difference between medicinal salt and marine salt is nutrients.

Predfan27 said:
But fish are always actively seeking out salt because in order to breath a fish must keep a high level of salt in their body. The high salt content in their body cause water to flow in. But adding a low amount of salt to water they can find this salt with ease, expending less energy to do so.

Please research osmotic pressure, salinity and the needs of truly freshwater fish. You have just said that all fish require brackish (raised salinity) water there and that is not correct.

Homedog98 said:
Good lord, can you two quit? You both have your opinions about whether or not to use salt, and that's ok. But arguing about it isn't gonna help anyone. Maybe you guys should research each others topics. Fishguy researches when to use salt, and predfan research when salt isn't needed, and who knows, maybe we'll all learn something new! But I'm sick of listening to you two fight about who knows more. Yeesh!

Differences of opinion and discussion is useful, not harmful. Anybody who finds this thread can then read those opinions. It isn't about how you're taking it. If you don't want to read it, just don't read it. It is educational to others.

Tim Wheatley said:
Totally disagree. Also, salt is salt. Add ANY salt and you raise salinity. Honestly, do some research and you'll see. The difference between medicinal salt and marine salt is nutrients.

True. I read that medicinal salt is composed of pretty mainly just NaCl with a nonbonding agent to reduce clumping while marine salt has things like calcium and the likes. And I understand that adding salt changes the salinity. I have done some research, I don't usually argue blindly. I have found lots of conflicting articles.

Back
Top Bottom