aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesos

Aquarium Advice Regular
quick question: while browsing Petco's selection of fish last night, I spotted an African Leaf fish. The placard claimed that aquarium salt was required for the care of the fish. I then noticed that the placard for the mollies and platies claimed thet they too required salt. I do have 6 platies that are about 3 months old to me. Am I hurting them by not providing salt? I don't use it because of my bottom dwellers.

hmmm....

well, the leaf fish and the mollies are inheriently brackish...meaning they like semi-salted water.

I am a believer in salting my tanks. I lightly salt them all. about a palmful per 10 gallons.

there are many schools of thought on this.

However, Mollies can be acclimated to total freshwater. I just personally choose not to do that.

I do not think that aquarium salt is required for freshwater fish. I do not see any benefit to it, just an added expense. There is a difference here though. Brackish tanks require MARINE salt, not aquarium salt. By adding aquarium salt it is not making it brackish.

I was told years ago that you can use Kosher salt from the grocery store for the tanks. This was from 2 different fish store owners. I have been doing this for years without issues. I have been out of salt for awhile *finally found it at a different store* but everyone seems fine either way. I have goldies, bettas, black mollies, guppies, gold severums, gouramis, plecos, angels and a few more. I used it also for my old ciclid tank as well with no issues. Just my experiences.

The only problems I ever ran into was my plants would not grow in salted tanks because I used to do it religiously. Now I don't use it at all. Just no need for it, it makes a mess on the tanks and is just another thing that throws tank chemistry out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom