Aquarium set up ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I am planning to use some sand and rocks from my lake and set up my 15 gallon. I will also catch some crayfish, minnows, snails and maybe if my sand bed is deep enough a clam or two. What do you guys think? Do I need more room and what can I feed them?
Thanks,

Something about the sand makes me wary... Maybe the dirtiness factor?

You also must be aware that wild caught fish have a harder time adapting tank parameters.

The crayfish will likely outgrow the tank not to mention they are opportunistic and might make a meal of the minnows given the chance. Crayfish are omnivores/scavengers and will eat about anything.

I had a wild caught cray at one point and the next day he was nibbling on veggie wafers.

Caleb

I would be also using the same lake water from where they came (except it would be filtered) so the perimeters would be the same. And if the crayfish outgrew the tank I might just put it back and get another one if it was a success. But thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't recommend using lake water. It would be a pain to go to the lake and get water every week for a water change.

I would skip on the crayfish. Re introducing fish (or in this case invertebrates) is generally Ill advised.

Do you know what kind of minnows they are?

Back
Top Bottom