Aquarium stand dilema!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGuppyGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank I'd like to set up on an extra stand (scroll style) I have instead of shelling out $60 for a new one, except the stand is meant for a 30 gallon tank. I have no doubt it can support the weight of the 29 but there's an extra 3" on each side and I don't know if that will compromise the tank and lead to disaster. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think a stand being larger than the tank is a problem. If you and some friends can sit on it and it hold its fine.

Vice versa is where trouble brews. You just want all 4 corners of the aquarium to be against the stand

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My 29g tank sits on a diy stand thats actually an old entertainment center. Its 48" long. That's 18" longer than the tank. No issues yet, albeit its only been set up a few weeks now

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430412825.036443.jpg
This is what I'm dealing with. All four corners of the tank sit on the stand but there's a whole lot of nothing on the sides.

Ah. Here is what i would do

Buy a nice thick sheet of plywood from Lowes/home depot. Measure the exact dimensions of the STAND, and request the store to cut it to that size. Lay it on the stand, paint it or cover the plywood with contact paper or something if you find the wood unsightly. Shouldn't be an issue. For peace of mind, the thicker the board, the better

Ah. Here is what i would do

Buy a nice thick sheet of plywood from Lowes/home depot. Measure the exact dimensions of the STAND, and request the store to cut it to that size. Lay it on the stand, paint it or cover the plywood with contact paper or something if you find the wood unsightly. Shouldn't be an issue. For peace of mind, the thicker the board, the better

If you do that I would suggest cutting a square in the middle of the plywood. Something like a 4"×4" hole so any moisture under the tank can get out, and not get moldy under the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why is that? I've never seen a hole in the middle of any wooden tank stands before and I've yet to see one moldy. A 4x4" hole will greatly reduce the strength of the board as well. Simply covering it with a contact paper or sealing with a stain will prevent all that

Why is that? I've never seen a hole in the middle of any wooden tank stands before and I've yet to see one moldy. A 4x4" hole will greatly reduce the strength of the board as well. Simply covering it with a contact paper or sealing with a stain will prevent all that

A 4"×4" would probably be the max, but it is a good precaution especially if the tank has a rim. The hole would let any moisture that might form get out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom