Aquariums on dressers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thejasteam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so I was wondering if I could keep my aquarium(either 20 25 or 29.....not sure yet :confused: ) on a dresser. I'm pretty sure it would work its made of oak but I would like to make sure before I do it. It doesn't creek or wobble (unless i shake it really hard) and i have boards under it so it is level. what do you thinK?
the 29 would be almost exact fit it would fit between the lip or whatever it's called.

Here is pictures! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2012-07-26_12.36.46.jpg
    2012-07-26_12.36.46.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 2012-07-26_12.37.31.jpg
    2012-07-26_12.37.31.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 2012-07-26_12.37.51.jpg
    2012-07-26_12.37.51.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 187
Yes, lots of people put tanks on dressers to avoid the cost of a stand. I would get a 29. 20 gallon longs are 6 in. longer than 29 gallon tanks, so it probably will be too long. Plus you can put more in a 29 gallon!

Put 300 lbs of stuff on it, like two friends, and see if it holds it without buckling or sagging on top. ;)

i have my 20g on my dresser. not because of cost but because i ran out of room in my room

I have a 20g on my dresser, and it holds it fine. Although I have rubber under mine, to hold it in place, and it left some serious indentions! It will do fine!

Do you think it would be fine if you had a carper flooring? Would a dresser like this be able to hold a 50g? There's two of these next to each other. This is upstairs as well? Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm also curious. :)

Samzter said:
Do you think it would be fine if you had a carper flooring? Would a dresser like this be able to hold a 50g? There's two of these next to each other. This is upstairs as well? Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm also curious. :)

Carpets should be fine is the dresser flat bottom or does it have four legs? Also the fish tank filled up with decorations water and substrate will be around 450 pounds so I would say to if possible have maybe four grown men sit on it if you could fit

Majbarsalona said:
Carpets should be fine is the dresser flat bottom or does it have four legs? Also the fish tank filled up with decorations water and substrate will be around 450 pounds so I would say to if possible have maybe four grown men sit on it if you could fit

Lol, 450 divided by 4 is about 112, i dont know many grown men weighing 112 pounds, so good luck finding 4! Lol ;)

If I were you I would be sure to either paint the top with a water resistant clear coat or put something protective on the top. You don't want that nice dresser getting water damaged, and if it were to warp you may have to find a new stand. Just be sure that it is stable and can hold the weight. I like the cinder block idea. Get as many as it would take to make the 400 pounds and sit them on top for a week or so and check for damage.

Majbarsalona said:

I think it is a flat bottom. Thank you everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom