aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes massive differences in tanks.

Glass or acrylic?

Quality of workmanship

Price

Reliability

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy twice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everyone has different oppinions on makers, but more improtant are shapes and sizes in my oppinions. Some shapes are just better for certain fish types.
Of course, there are also astheitc prefernces. I personally dislike bowfronts, but that just me.
Also, the more corners a tank has, the more leaking points it could get. Hex tanks are weaker then rectangles.

Yes massive differences in tanks.

Glass or acrylic?

Quality of workmanship

Price

Reliability

You get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy twice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everyone has different oppinions on makers, but more improtant are shapes and sizes in my oppinions. Some shapes are just better for certain fish types.

Of course, there are also astheitc prefernces. I personally dislike bowfronts, but that just me.

Also, the more corners a tank has, the more leaking points it could get. Hex tanks are weaker then rectangles.

+1 Both bring up excellent points. Glass can be resealed, but I've got zero experience with acrylic. Anybody else know ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

+1 Both bring up excellent points. Glass can be resealed, but I've got zero experience with acrylic. Anybody else know ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

thanks for the help . I would like to start a dirty , planted tank. what I read is to fill with water, after sub straight ,then drain, and repeat fill and drain 3 times to rid nutrients. I want a good tank to start with . its a lot of work and money to have to do again.

thanks for the help . I would like to start a dirty , planted tank. what I read is to fill with water, after sub straight ,then drain, and repeat fill and drain 3 times to rid nutrients. I want a good tank to start with . its a lot of work and money to have to do again.

The nutrients are a long term process of leaching from dirting a tank. A 2 inch dirted base, 2 inches of sand, and then add water. You will likely have tannins which will have to be dealt with through water changes.

As for the tank, the big difference is the quality of glass. Anything with specialized glass is going to cost waay more than a standard tank. It's not really worth worrying about the manufacturer as any flaws and failures are very very few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom