Aquascape criticism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishWorks AK said:
I was referring to this picture, and I would go I the right. Studies show that the eye likes seeing the focal point just left or just right of center ..!... Or ...!.. I really like how you had the two pieces together, I think I would do that for the focal point and buy a few more small pieces to compliment that

Thanks I was going for a focal point. I'm gonna move the anacharis to the left like you said I like that idea. So I'll probably rescape when I get home from work. I'll post a pic later today.

By mid and foreground, they meant need different sizes of plant. Some plants grow extremely tall 18-20 inches or more(anacharis), others grow mid-size 8-12 inches, and others stay shorter, like hair grass.
Also, hardscape of different sizes is good. You want your tank to look like it is larger than it is, and having plants and objects of varying height (taller at the back and sides, medium in the middle, and small at the front makes it look like your are seeing things get gradually farther away. Like those perspective tricks from art class lol. Also, use odd numbers (1or 3 instead of 2 unless you make the 2 look like a single piece), and don't try to center things perfectly. Off center actually looks better.
Research your plants and find out how big they get, then try to picture what your tank will look like when they are full grown. (the hardest part is waiting until it gets to that stage)

AaronW said:
Btw that planted tank is amazing. It's semi aquatic?

Well it's a riparium, the big one is at least. Its a 220gal, I put my lights on the ceiling and made a troff type thing along the back wall tht aloud me to put planters in it. I put semi aquatic plants inside the planters. Lastly I incased the top in acrylic so I could use a mister on the top plants

ownedbycats said:
By mid and foreground, they meant need different sizes of plant. Some plants grow extremely tall 18-20 inches or more(anacharis), others grow mid-size 8-12 inches, and others stay shorter, like hair grass.
Also, hardscape of different sizes is good. You want your tank to look like it is larger than it is, and having plants and objects of varying height (taller at the back and sides, medium in the middle, and small at the front makes it look like your are seeing things get gradually farther away. Like those perspective tricks from art class lol. Also, use odd numbers (1or 3 instead of 2 unless you make the 2 look like a single piece), and don't try to center things perfectly. Off center actually looks better.
Research your plants and find out how big they get, then try to picture what your tank will look like when they are full grown. (the hardest part is waiting until it gets to that stage)

Well said, but I think you meant to say smaller towards the back so it looks further away

Does anyone know some good mid and small plants? I don't really have a stocking list yet. That would help

Crypts are excellent for mid ground plants in tanks your size. A red tiger lotus would be a great centerpiece in the mid ground. Four leaf clover would look excellent as a foreground plant. All of these are easy to care for. Brazilian Pennywort is my favorite background plant as it looks very different from your other plants and would contrast well.

CorallineAlgae said:
Crypts are excellent for mid ground plants in tanks your size. A red tiger lotus would be a great centerpiece in the mid ground. Four leaf clover would look excellent as a foreground plant. All of these are easy to care for. Brazilian Pennywort is my favorite background plant as it looks very different from your other plants and would contrast well.

Crypts have been on my list. I don't know about a red tiger lotus. I only have sand substrate and no dirt :/
But I like the pennywort! It's a pretty plant.
Thanks for The info coralline!

FishworksAK -- I didn't state that very well. You don't want your tallest plants in the front in an aquarium because then it is harder to see the fish. You want to have smaller things in front gradually increasing. If done right, it looks like the smallest plants are grasslike plants, medium plants and hardscape are kind of like bushes and hills, and tall plants and bigger hardscape are trees and bigger hills mountains.
Just research size of that particular crypt species. Some are fairly short, but some can get quite tall. My crypt spiralis is tall enough that it's tallest leaves are starting to lay on top of the water. (my tank is 12 inches tall) My crypt wendtii is now 10 inches tall and growing. Just like fish, many fo the plants sold in stores are sold while still quite small. The size you start with may not be the size you end up with.

There are alot of plants that can be used in the forground. One of my favorites is Crypt Parva, which only gets about 2" tall and is great for using as an accent. You can use micro swords for a grassy look. Midground plants are pretty easy, you can do crypts, and most stem plants as all you have to do is keep them trimmed to the height you want. Star grass is a good one. Then you can add a sword or other tall stem plants in the back and let the stem plants grow to the water line to cover the tank back. Here is a link to my 220g planted that will give you an idea on how plants can be used in varying heights. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html. There is a picture of a Red Tiger Lotus in the second set of pic's on the bottom two. An upclose of the leaves in the left pic and the entire plant in the right pic.

image-3372937926.jpg

That's awesome, this is my 220gal. I used almost all stem plants so that I could give them to my LFS to sell, good friend. I also stayed with small fish in order to breed crystal red shrimp.

image-3136161469.jpg

This I my 120 gallon, this one was more for play

Rivercats said:
There are alot of plants that can be used in the forground. One of my favorites is Crypt Parva, which only gets about 2" tall and is great for using as an accent. You can use micro swords for a grassy look. Midground plants are pretty easy, you can do crypts, and most stem plants as all you have to do is keep them trimmed to the height you want. Star grass is a good one. Then you can add a sword or other tall stem plants in the back and let the stem plants grow to the water line to cover the tank back. Here is a link to my 220g planted that will give you an idea on how plants can be used in varying heights. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html. There is a picture of a Red Tiger Lotus in the second set of pic's on the bottom two. An upclose of the leaves in the left pic and the entire plant in the right pic.

I like what you've done with your 220. This is why I love freshwater tanks so much! What kind of substrate are you using? And lights too. Can I just replace the bulb on my fixture for something with the right spectrum? Or will I have to buy a whole other light. I don't have a glass top yet

I have a dirted tank with a Eco-complete cap. I have high lights, 3x150w 6000K metal halides with 4x39w 6700K T5HO's. You need a bulb that is about 6700K spectrum. Only upgrade to better lights if you want to spend the money. With better lights like a 2 bulb T5HO fixture you can grow alot of different plants.

I have two 250w 8000k green ADA bulbs with four 54 w t5 red. They are all on the ceiling

FishWorks AK said:
I have two 250w 8000k green ADA bulbs with four 54 w t5 red. They are all on the ceiling

Where do you get that kind of spectrum lighting? I'm definitely gonna up my spectrum. I think 5500k us what im at right now.

AronW:
I like the new look. I mean, really. It's clean. You'll adjust. I remember when I replanted my tank I hated it. Now that many of the plants are now huge and the tank is filling in, I like it.

AaronW said:
Where do you get that kind of spectrum lighting? I'm definitely gonna up my spectrum. I think 5500k us what im at right now.

Well if it's worth it to ya they are ADA (amono). They cost almost 200 dollars a pop, but oh buddy do they work well, such a great bulb

Wroberson said:
AronW:
I like the new look. I mean, really. It's clean. You'll adjust. I remember when I replanted my tank I hated it. Now that many of the plants are now huge and the tank is filling in, I like it.

Thanks man. I appreciate it! I'm gonna adjust the plants. So thAt they're more organized.

anyone have red elocharis? Also Rotalla wallichii? I wanna get some contrast reds in the the background. Is there such thing as a low light red?

And is a powerhead necessary?

anyone have red elocharis? Also Rotalla wallichii? I wanna get some contrast reds in the the background. Is there such thing as a low light red?

And is a powerhead necessary?

I have alot of red/pink/orange/yellow plants. You can see them by clicking on the link below my signature, view Rivercats 220g planted tank. There are pic's or rotala wallichii, along with rotala macrandra, nesaea pedicellata golden, myriophyllum tuberculatum, and limnophila aromatica hippuroides. In low light most non-green plants will be green. You have to have adequate medium high to high light to get good color plus the addition of CO2 and or liquid carbon. One plant that would work in a lower light tank is Red Tiger Lotus. It's a good idea to use iron root tabs with them. Now rotala indica "might" get a little pinkish in lower light.

As for a powerheads I use two nano Koralia's in my 220g to aid in water movement. You want your plants to move slightly. Each tank is different and depending on the outflow of your filters will determine if you need powerheads to get movement of water throughout your tank.

Back
Top Bottom