Aquascape help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really don't know where to post this thread. I mean, is this even the right place for this?
Well, in one way or another I think I showcased my tank?hehe:lol:
Embarassing,as it is of course, one of the worst here- that's why I consulted this forum :)

Anyway, I know nothing about aquascaping :hide:
So wanted to ask help from you guys!
I just don't know how to place or where to place things!:blink:
Got a bogwood, a somehow cavelike thingy from the petshop, and 2 stones.
My fishies are 6 bronze cories and 8 pink danios.
Also, got 5 ghost shrimp.
Well, here is a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpg
    IMG_7110.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 157
Oh!thank you :)
Maybe I should get a tarpaulin (custom-made) for my aquarium?

+1 on the black background. The current one draws the attention away from what's in the tank. The black background can be accomplished a variety of ways. You could use poster board, cardboard, desk matte, plastic trash bag, etc. Or you could paint it with a roller or (not advised with tank inhabitants) spray paint. The black will add depth and make decor, fish, and plants stand out.
How you decorate depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are various websites and aquarium forums that displays different themes and examples. If you want to duplicate nature or something resembling a natural theme, use natural decor such as driftwood and aquarium safe rocks. Just a few well placed items plus some plants might be all that you need.
Tip: try to avoid placing a prominent feature such as a large rock or piece of driftwood dead center. Place it off center a bit. Also, avoid symmetry or items in pairs. These things help the viewer focus in on the entire tank instead of drawing the attention the "this side" versus "that side". The less distractions, the more relaxed and visually pleasing it appears.

Thanks guys! I'm learning a lot here really :D
Tomorrow I'll try finding myself a black background. How about a deep blue one?Will it work?Or is black better?

Tried rescaping it again. Man, I suck at this.
I think I'll add more plants and rocks.
Sorry for all the scratches. It's my oldest aquarium, had it since 2007 :)
Back then, I used wrong materials to clean it. :nono:

Attachments

• IMG_7130.jpg
    IMG_7130.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 116
In the 1st picture you posted, I would put the driftwood where the angled rock is and put the angled rock to the left, with overlap, and in front of the driftwood. I'd try tall plants in that corner. I'm not sure where I would put the blue ornament.

This place has a ton of aquascape examples: http://www.tropica.com/en/home.aspx

I look at their layouts all the time. I think if you look at their layouts it will give you inspiration and you'll naturally create the best layout.

If your going for a naturalistic look take out the cave and add some greenery

I like the wood ornament on it's side -it looks more natural to me and draws the eye over, across the length of the tank.

Black or dark blue background....at my LFS, they sell aquarium background by-the-foot that's black on one side, dark blue on the other, so you could experiment.

I'd take the 'cave' ornament out, reserving it for another tank that was more "cartoony" (and I say that having a cartoony tank myself, so no hate :) ) Here, its just too bright and sucks the eye toward it alone.

I'd play around with putting the rocks on one side, the horizontal driftwood on the other, or putting them both overlapping, slightly off-center to one side or the other.

..and when that hairgrass, elodia, and corkscrew val grows in, I think you'll have a lovely setup :)

Back
Top Bottom