Aquascaping a 10gal tank...and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Defence21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, so I am a 22 year old born-again fish addict. I used to have two 10gal tanks and, I admit, I had no idea what I was doing. I randomly decorated the tank and dropped in any colorful fish I could find.

That was 10 years ago when I wanted what I wanted and when I wanted it. Now, I am more patient and interested in creating a unique setup that will not only be beautiful, but also provide the best possible home for my fish.

So hopefully you'll bear with me, as I have several questions to ask and this might get somewhat lengthy. Please help me out, even if you know answers to one or a few of the questions. I appreciate any help I can get!

1. I purchased a 10gal glass tank and have allowed it to sit, 3/4 full for the previous week. I was told this will help to dechlorinate it. What are the next steps? Adding gravel, plants, etc? Or adding a filter, heater, hood?

2. I plan to use live plants. How many is too many? What are some hardy types? Are there any I should avoid? I also want to use at bogwood. How big of a piece? And how do I know when I have added too much decor to my tank? Stores often say 1 plant and 1 rock in a 10gal tank, but I often see photos online with much, much more than this.

3. I have seen plenty of photos online of exotic-looking fish tank. How can I do this while allowing ample swimming space? This goes along with question 2.

4. What types of fish should I look into? Keep in mind that I am more interested in smaller fish, as I want to keep more of them. I have done some research and have found that Zebra Danios, Tetras, Pencilfish, and Bumblebee Gobies all will work well together. Will they? And how many should I go for? Are there others I could mix in with them? What type of algae eater? I would like some unique things -- ghost shrimp, apple snails. How will they fit into this fish tank setup? How many should I get?

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Oh yes, and one more question. I have a 5gal tank that was my sister's. I have a few fish in it now, but nothing I expect to last. I was interested in putting an Angelfish in it and also some sort of shark. I was told at a local pet store that this will work out, as sharks often stay on the bottom, while Angelfish swim near the top. Is this accurate? What type of shark should I look for? I like the Red-Tailed Black Shark. Is that a good choice? Anything you can help me with on this also will help.

Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

First things first- don't listen to your LFS before you come back and research it.. because thus far they are wrong =o)

1. You need to cycle your tank first. Here is an article abot that-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

In a nutshell- fish create ammonia, too much ammonia can/will kill them so you need to have beneficial bacteria in the tank to "eat" the ammonia
Also, you need to add dechlorinator to your water (and any new water you add to the tank). You need to add- gravel, filter, heater, hood and water before even adding fish

2. There is a forum specifically for plants... but lets just hold off on plants for now... once you get your tank cycled and have an idea of what kind of fish you want... you can figure out what kind of plants you can have.

3. There are lots of smaller exotic looking fish out there, while your tank cycles you will have plenty of time to research all the fish. A good starting place would be www.liveaquaria.com they give you pictures and some information. Take that information and bring it back here (or google) for other information.

4. In a 10gal you have about 10in of fish to work with (now, with good filtration and PWC you could go past that) but the "one inch of fish per gal" rule is a good place to start for right now. BUT its a loose rule to follow.

Also, a 5gal is NOT good for an angelfish and a RTB shark. Whoever told you that is an idiot. Angels will get WAY too big for a 5gal as well as the shark- both should be housed in nothing SMALLER than a 29gal.

A 5gal is good for a betta *nod*

On a side note, Im 22 as well hehe =o)

1. Okay, so I read the cycle article and I am still a bit foggy on the timeframe this will take. Is this something that has a standard amount of time, or is it recommended that I buy a kit that can identify ammonia, nitrobacter, etc. levels?
- And, can I add gravel, a filter, a hood, a heater, etc before the cycle is complete?
- Oh yes, and I have added dechlorinater. I forgot to mention that. I have read up on it.

2. Sounds good on the plants.

3. I plan on going to several local pet stores and making a list of all the fish available at each store so that i can return to research on fish I know I can find. I have been looking around online and there are so many varieties of tetras, livebearers, etc that I am not sure which ones are actually available in my area. Once I get a list, I'll research them and proably begin asking some questions on them.

4. I have heard the 1 inch per gallon rule and was planning on using that as a guideline with this tank.

Lastly, I'd like to thank you for your prompt response. It's exciting getting started and this is, by far, the best site I have found for dealing with fish. I appreciate your help! I'm sure I'll be around quite a bit -- at least for the next few weeks.

Yes puit in gravel heater filter etc. in the tank before cyclng. The bacteria grow on the gravel and filter media. The typical fishless cycle takes 4-6 weeks. It can go longer. Definetly get the test kit you will need it. The Aquarium Pharmacueticals master test kit is a good choice. Do not buy the strips the LFS is going to want to sell you. They are not very accurate.

The time frame depends on how you cycle.. sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it doesn't- definatly buy a water testing kit.. it will come in handy later.

Also, your LFS will always have various things in stock at different times... and some places will special order for you- so the sky is the limit!

Back
Top Bottom