aquascaping a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new 20G long tank and trying to aquascape it with river stones with some short plants which surrounds them.

Attached are the designs that I have in mind, what do you think, and which one do you prefer? any additional tips are welcomed.

Thank you,

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6044.jpg
    IMG_6044.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6045.jpg
    IMG_6045.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 64
I like design #3. Might consider moving the two rocks positioned in the corner forward just a bit as to avoid a possible dead spot.

I agree that #3 is the best but I do think you should add more rocks to it. More smaller rocks around the bigger ones and maybe take the taller rock on the right and slant it inwards or outwards.

My honest opinion is that it looks very formal. This could be good or bad depending on what you’re going for. Don’t go with 2 because you’re asking for disaster to happen. The other 2 look very nice. I’d personally put short plants in to give a nice meadow look and frost the back of the aquarium. My biggest concern is that it’s to perfect and I prefer a natural look. My next bit of advice is do what you want and what makes you happy because everyone has their own opinion and this is your own little world to design any way you want. The green machine does some amazing aquascape tutorials watch those. All of them because it’s like watching bob Ross paint

looks like #3 is the winner. I like 2, but it requires some cement job to make sure it's stable. so here is a modified version of it.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.jpg
    IMG_6047.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 58
My honest opinion is that it looks very formal. This could be good or bad depending on what you’re going for. Don’t go with 2 because you’re asking for disaster to happen. The other 2 look very nice. I’d personally put short plants in to give a nice meadow look and frost the back of the aquarium. My biggest concern is that it’s to perfect and I prefer a natural look. My next bit of advice is do what you want and what makes you happy because everyone has their own opinion and this is your own little world to design any way you want. The green machine does some amazing aquascape tutorials watch those. All of them because it’s like watching bob Ross paint

Thanks dylanp. I really appreciate your input, and I guess you are correct, it is not very natural. I watched countless videos from Green machine and
George Farmer and others posting videos on iwagumi on you-tube. Just the videos are works of art, and I can watch many many more, and come up with so many ideas on which stones to use and select plants that will make the tank look like Yosemite. However at this time, there are too many if-then-else statements in my head :) (you'd know what I mean if you're a programmer)

All the videos from George Farmer and Green machine inspired me to do this project, and this is my first one. I wanted to start something basic and get some experience before getting into more complex projects. I guess for now I'm thinking of zen garden/iwagumi-esque design. keep the plant types to 1 or 2 at most. I'll be using black sand (eco-complete) with some white sand to create a path or create some islands.

@goatnad, thanks for the tip, I will add more small black rocks to separate the different sands. I also have couple more river stones to place around the big rock.

I agree that #3 is the best but I do think you should add more rocks to it. More smaller rocks around the bigger ones and maybe take the taller rock on the right and slant it inwards or outwards.

Hi goatnad, what is the rationale behind your suggestion regarding the tall rock? is it to make the lines in parallel with the main rock, and create harmony? or for giggles?

-maz

Hi goatnad, what is the rationale behind your suggestion regarding the tall rock? is it to make the lines in parallel with the main rock, and create harmony? or for giggles?

-maz

Yes it to create harmony and make it look more natural. I take that from recommended iwagumi setups where you have a larger stone that is your main focal point and the smaller stones around it usually pointing towards it to draw your eye to the focal stone. Also in nature the way water erodes stone it does so in the same direction on each stone usually. Not always but usually.

here is an example.see how all the rocks point towards the larger stone and most of them are leaning in the same direction of the larger stone? its more pleasing to the eye this way.

http://scapefu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/mainimage.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom