Aquascaping and stocking advice for nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I have an Aqueon Evolve 4 (4g) and I need advice for aquascaping and stocking it. I would like to make it planted (preferably dirted) with some DW or rocks. I was thinking of having it mostly capped w/ dark brown or black gravel and then an open part of it w/ sand. Would sand be good or would it just be a pain? Also, what kind of plants would be good? I have an anubias in my 10g that I would like to add but I'm not sure yet. I want the tank to be low tech. What about accent stones?

For stocking it I'm almost positive I'll be putting a crown tail betta but I would like to know any other options besides that. What could possibly go with a betta that wouldn't exceed the stocking limit? Thanks for reading and :thanks: in advance for your response!

So, I have an Aqueon Evolve 4 (4g) and I need advice for aquascaping and stocking it. I would like to make it planted (preferably dirted) with some DW or rocks. I was thinking of having it mostly capped w/ dark brown or black gravel and then an open part of it w/ sand. Would sand be good or would it just be a pain? Also, what kind of plants would be good? I have an anubias in my 10g that I would like to add but I'm not sure yet. I want the tank to be low tech. What about accent stones?

For stocking it I'm almost positive I'll be putting a crown tail betta but I would like to know any other options besides that. What could possibly go with a betta that wouldn't exceed the stocking limit? Thanks for reading and :thanks: in advance for your response!

I use that tank for my RCS and a very happy nerite snail.

A betta would be nice but you'd probably have to do some mods. Both the filter (actually pump) intake and output are very strong. I also did some work on the pump tube because of noise. I don't run a heater and water temp is a consistent 77.5

I have najas bunched around a nano tree, java ferns, some small crypts, and floating pennywort.

There are lots of cool nano fish available that would work in a small group; not sure how they would do with a betta though.

Here's my setup, please forgive the watermarks, tomorrow is cleaning day :roll eyes:

img_3145807_0_84a5adc0e9dda41aee25f1645cf475f4.jpg

Its tough with a Betta thats for sure. It would be cool to try some small neon tetras. I may suggest some small neon tetras or the like. Hopefully they will stay out of the Bettas way.

Where in PA are you from? My GF is from the Harrisburg area.

I use that tank for my RCS and a very happy nerite snail.

A betta would be nice but you'd probably have to do some mods. Both the filter (actually pump) intake and output are very strong. I also did some work on the pump tube because of noise. I don't run a heater and water temp is a consistent 77.5

I have najas bunched around a nano tree, java ferns, some small crypts, and floating pennywort.

There are lots of cool nano fish available that would work in a small group; not sure how they would do with a betta though.

Here's my setup, please forgive the watermarks, tomorrow is cleaning day :roll eyes:

img_3145847_0_84a5adc0e9dda41aee25f1645cf475f4.jpg

Its tough with a Betta thats for sure. It would be cool to try some small neon tetras. I may suggest some small neon tetras or the like. Hopefully they will stay out of the Bettas way.

Where in PA are you from? My GF is from the Harrisburg area.

TheresaM: I contacted Aqueon and they sent me a much smaller pump (No questions asked!) and the flow is perfect now. It's extremely quiet rn and hopefully it will stay that way. I have a mini bow heater and will keep close tabs on the temp cause it's not controllable you just kind of turn it on. Do you use any fertilizers or co2? I really don't want to buy a co2 system or make one but I want plants to grow. Also, will the light that it came with be adequate for growing plants? I don't want tons of plants and they'll be low tech. Whats your opinion on sand? Had any experience with it? One more thing, is it beneficial to add extra filter media? P.S. Your tank is beautiful!

ericwithac: Thanks for the response. :) I was thinking about doing some small tetras and maybe a snail or two. I don't want to overstock though (obviously). I live a half hour away from Lancaster. TFPTPP is there. Ever been? (y)

TheresaM: I contacted Aqueon and they sent me a much smaller pump (No questions asked!) and the flow is perfect now. It's extremely quiet rn and hopefully it will stay that way. I have a mini bow heater and will keep close tabs on the temp cause it's not controllable you just kind of turn it on. Do you use any fertilizers or co2? I really don't want to buy a co2 system or make one but I want plants to grow. Also, will the light that it came with be adequate for growing plants? I don't want tons of plants and they'll be low tech. Whats your opinion on sand? Had any experience with it? One more thing, is it beneficial to add extra filter media? P.S. Your tank is beautiful!

ericwithac: Thanks for the response. :) I was thinking about doing some small tetras and maybe a snail or two. I don't want to overstock though (obviously). I live a half hour away from Lancaster. TFPTPP is there. Ever been? (y)

I have been through Lancaster and saw some Amish for the first time. I don't know what this TFPTPP is you speak of...

Thanks! Definitely be careful with a heater. Adjusting the intake & output really depend on what you stock. I actually took out the filter media that came with it, have a sponge right up against the intake (my shrimp kept getting sucked in, not fun trying to get them out those small back sections!), and my own media bag.

I use Flourish once a week, no co2. I mainly got the sand because of the shrimp, too many horror stories of shrimplets getting lost in gravel. It's good for the plants I have, not sure about heavy root feeders.

Again, depending on your interests you could do ember tetras or some of the micro rasboras; even killifish.

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Gravel might be okay if the actual pieces of gravel are small enough. Im a fan of the eco-complete planted aquarium substrate. Its great for all types of plants.

That Fish Place That Pet Place! Supposedly the largest fish/pet store in the world...

That Fish Place That Pet Place! Supposedly the largest fish/pet store in the world...

Im an idiot. I have heard of it.

Ive been to their online store but never to the actual location in PA. It would be neat to check it out though!

Im an idiot. I have heard of it.

Ive been to their online store but never to the actual location in PA. It would be neat to check it out though!

Lol yeah it is pretty cool. There are so many beautiful tanks (that the employees own) that are on display. Unfortunately, there's a rumor going around that it's going out of business. (IMO it's totally bogus)

Lol yeah it is pretty cool. There are so many beautiful tanks (that the employees own) that are on display. Unfortunately, there's a rumor going around that it's going out of business. (IMO it's totally bogus)

Oh dear! I wish we had a cool fish store around here. The closest one is in NH, almost an hour away. Luckily the tank is going into my gfs place in CT where fish stores are much more abundant.

I have not heard!

Is this IN Lancaster? May need to stop there the next time we head to Harrisburg.

Yes it's in Lancaster. You should go! There's like a 2,000g uh... tank? where you can pet the rays! and there are so many freshwater & saltwater fish and inverts. Also live plants and coral/rock.

Yes it's in Lancaster. You should go! There's like a 2,000g uh... tank? where you can pet the rays! and there are so many freshwater & saltwater fish and inverts. Also live plants and coral/rock.

Im there! Maybe me and the lady can catch up with you there! Grab a drink or something! That would be fun!

Back
Top Bottom