Aquatic Life CF and Lunar Aquarium Lighting Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J Migidy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to upgrade the lighting on my 55 gallon tank. I was looking at the Coralife Lunar Compact Florescent system seen here
popupLargeImage.web
P42807.jpg

Lunar Aqualight Power Compact Light Fixture - Double - 48 in. | Compact Fluorescent | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
I've read reviews that say this new Coralife model has less cooling fans and is super loud. Like to the point of annoying loud? Then I saw these new lunar light setups from Aquatic Life seen here
popupLargeImage.web
5952.jpg

Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture - 4 Compact Lamps 65W - 4 Lunar 1W - 48 in. | Compact Fluorescent | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
I was thinking they might be better? The built-in timer that controls all lights independently for creating a 24-hour cycle and single-cord design sound nice. No need to buy a separate timer for the lights. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have no experience with those brands of lights, and how you described the internal timer system sounds sweet.... but check these guys out.

www.catalinaaquarium.com

I just got a light from them that is really nice, and alot cheaper.

I'm looking to upgrade the lighting on my 55 gallon tank. I was looking at the Coralife Lunar Compact Florescent system seen here
popupLargeImage.web
P42807.jpg

Lunar Aqualight Power Compact Light Fixture - Double - 48 in. | Compact Fluorescent | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
I've read reviews that say this new Coralife model has less cooling fans and is super loud. Like to the point of annoying loud? Then I saw these new lunar light setups from Aquatic Life seen here
popupLargeImage.web
5952.jpg

Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture - 4 Compact Lamps 65W - 4 Lunar 1W - 48 in. | Compact Fluorescent | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
I was thinking they might be better? The built-in timer that controls all lights independently for creating a 24-hour cycle and single-cord design sound nice. No need to buy a separate timer for the lights. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I actually just purchased the exact light system you have for the first picture for my 29g that Im upgrading. It will be here tomorrow. From my research I have found coralife to be a reputable brand. I currently run a system much like your last picture on my 75g. Its a Current USA sattalite with 4x65w PC Actinic / 6700k/10000k Daylamps. It does very well and as far as your built in timer thats all and good if its a decent price. But FYI you can find "cheap" multiple plug timers at any hardware store "eg hope depot" "canadian tire" etc.. they are pretty much exact same as ones you find in your LFS but not with the 60 - 80 $ price tag.

-davE

Cool. Let me know how that Coralife fixture works for you after you get it set up. I'm not sure which length you got but the one I need is 48 inches long. The old Coralife 48 inch model had 2 intake fans and two exhaust fans for a total of 4 fans. The new model has half as many fans but is super loud from what the reviews say. I have a smaller Coralife unit without fans on another tank of mine and I love it and I know they are a good brand. Still This Aqualife unit looks pretty sweet.....even without the built in timer for the lights. I hope some reviews come out for it soon.

I actually just purchased the exact light system you have for the first picture for my 29g that Im upgrading. It will be here tomorrow. From my research I have found coralife to be a reputable brand. I currently run a system much like your last picture on my 75g. Its a Current USA sattalite with 4x65w PC Actinic / 6700k/10000k Daylamps. It does very well and as far as your built in timer thats all and good if its a decent price. But FYI you can find "cheap" multiple plug timers at any hardware store "eg hope depot" "canadian tire" etc.. they are pretty much exact same as ones you find in your LFS but not with the 60 - 80 $ price tag.

-davE

Hey how is that Coralife Lunar fixture working out for you? If you have time please post some pics and thoughts on your purchase.

Hey how is that Coralife Lunar fixture working out for you? If you have time please post some pics and thoughts on your purchase.

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear but I have already returned the light fixture. Upon delivery one of the bulbs was smashed so I contacted Big Al's and they told me to take picture of the damaged bulb so they could send out a new one.. which I did. I received the new bulb the day after. A couple of days went by and than it stopped working. Not sure if it was the actual fixture or a faulty bulb. I'm assuming the ballast blew out the new bulb.. either way I was frustrated and returned the whole unit entirely and bought another current fixture instead. To be honest I found that for the extra bit of money the current USA fixtures cost (although they may look a little more drab(boring)) they are much better built and the light output seems to me to be brighter. So thats my 2 cents.. my only beef about the current fixtures is they are always sold out of the K K dual daylight Sunpaq lamps..and they are freaking expensive!

-davE

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear but I have already returned the light fixture. Upon delivery one of the bulbs was smashed so I contacted Big Al's and they told me to take picture of the damaged bulb so they could send out a new one.. which I did. I received the new bulb the day after. A couple of days went by and than it stopped working. Not sure if it was the actual fixture or a faulty bulb. I'm assuming the ballast blew out the new bulb.. either way I was frustrated and returned the whole unit entirely and bought another current fixture instead. To be honest I found that for the extra bit of money the current USA fixtures cost (although they may look a little more drab(boring)) they are much better built and the light output seems to me to be brighter. So thats my 2 cents.. my only beef about the current fixtures is they are always sold out of the K K dual daylight Sunpaq lamps..and they are freaking expensive!

-davE

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about the Coralife System. They always seemed good and I was looking forward to hearing how the new model performed. How is the unit you have now? Light out put and fan noise? Which Current fixture did you get? Nova Extreme? Sunpod? Satellite?

Back
Top Bottom