AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we first got to the store, we saw a little head sticking out of the rock. Never saw him again. She shook and vibrated and twirled the rock and decided I should take it home and the fish would come out. That was 3 pm yesterday.

The tank is a 40g breeder. I didn't know Chromis would kill each other.

Did you ever put that rock in your tank? And it's not a guarantee on the chromis, but a lot of them are jerks so I would say it's a decent possibility. How about a pair of clowns? They add personality to any tank imo

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The rock was way too big for my tank. It barely fit in the 5 gallon bucket.
They were very nice at the store, but I think they were afraid to cross me. I did get 3 Chromis and will watch their behavior closely per what you said. I now have a credit on my account. Apparently Chromis are a lot cheaper than a Midas Blenny. I'm still gonna get a Blenny, but it will be a while now.
Wanna laugh? The guy put the rock back in his tank. My husband called me over 5 minutes later and the Blenny was peeking out of his hole. :nono:

My Chromis and Cleaner Shrimp are doing well. It's funny watching the Chromis learning new things, like picking up pellets from the sand (one got a mouthful of sand trying to do it and blew it all out) :lol: and figuring out how to sleep all together in a cave. I now have diatoms. No prob. Will try to get pictures today. :popcorn:

I know I said diatoms were no problem, but is your entire tank, walls, rocks, sand...everything supposed to be rust red? Seriously? I'm even skimming rust red. Are fish and shrimp safe in there?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok. Honestly, I don't know how to post a picture, so I have to get my husband to do it. I will try to do it late this afternoon. Now I'm really worried. I wondered if this was normal, because it wasn't like this in the reef tank.

I wasn't aware that I could get Cyano so quickly after the cycle. And, isn't cyano more red? This is definately rust brown. The skimmer is picking up small chunks of it. I am skimming hoping to get some of it. A post on AA stated to skim, because the dead diatoms could be skimmed out. I'm really worried about this. I am not home, but when I get there, I will get a pic and feel it to see if it's slimy like cyano. Would diatoms be slimy, too?

Water is cloudy, but see if you can tell...

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 118
Very more rust colored than pics make it look. All the rocks are completely covered. Not slimy. Won't just brush off rocks but is only on the top of the sand.

No strings, no bubbles. Powder like on the sand but can't brush off the rocks. The rocks look as if they are permanently that color, but when I pick up some sand and drop it, it appears white again (probably buried the brown stuff...boy, do I sound technical!)

Read ALL the articles. Am still not convinced they're Dinos. The stuff on the sand, nor on the rocks is slimy, gooey or plastic like. I haven't used a toothbrush on the rocks but my fingernail didn't disturb it. The sand actually acts like I could just stir it up and it would be white again. Behaves two different ways!

That's what I had hoped. I knew what to do about them. Ignore them. Dinos were a whole 'nother thing and that scared me. According to the articles, Dinos could kill my critters and was awfully hard to get rid of. The color on my sand is lighter this morning, but is taking up more room on the glass. I appreciate the help Sniperhank, and I hope I didn't make you mad at me. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just trying to describe the problem in detail. And thanks to you Doug, as usual. :thanks:

Well, the tank is looking better and better. The sand is just a light gold here and there, the rocks are clearing and the glass is clear. The critters are doing well. Things appear to be looking up.

Back
Top Bottom