AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Figured about the bloom. Getting prepared for another water change. Maybe I can save the last one. Wonder why the shrimp didn't die? Sorry I sound so ignorant.

It sounds like it's going through another cycle since you added the fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Actually, I thought of that. Why else would things be going as they are. I trusted this LFS because they were the biggest around, and they told me specifically that I could start with three chromis and a cleaner shrimp at one time in a 40B, a week after the cycle ended. I think it was just too much at one time, It looks like my last chromis may not make it. He is just hovering beneath the skimmer overflow box. Again, he did not eat, unless when he briefly went into the rocks to avoid me.
One good thing, Sniperhank told me to put carbon in the skimmer overflow in order to clear the tank, and it seems to be working. Much clearer today.

Husband in surgery so I can't check on my fishy. Looks like we'll be here late. Running out of reagents for my nitrite Hanna Checker. Didn't realize it was ultra low range so my readings were ppb instead of ppm. That would lead me to believe that my reading were not as bad as I thought. Sound right?

Sorry to hear that atleast now you can watch it cycle and try again

Yes, I will wait a while. Strange thing is, the shrimp made it thru all of this. I thought it would go first. Anyway, have to stay home this week to take care of my husband and next week he has appointments just about all week, so that gives the tank extra time to cycle. I'm a little gun-shy about chromis now. Don't know whether to get more or find something else.

I wasn't previously aware of their aggression. I know that's not what killed mine, my stupidity was. I was planning to have a total of 5 because they were so pretty. Now I have to start over with my stocking list. Very disappointed. They were the first fish I chose. I don't want real small, I don't want wrasses and I can't get too large. It's only a 40B. I may go with a couple of captive bred designer clowns. I have two in the reef tank, so I wanted something different. Don't mind spending a little money, but I gotta make sure the tank, nor me, will kill them. Thanks for the advice.

I have a purple firefish in the reef tank. It's kind small for the new one. Wanted to "upsize". The rest of the current stocking list is a Midas blenny, and a coral beauty or true lemonpeel. Possibly chalk bass. Also hoping I can find a mimic filefish, as a puffer would be too big. Any other ideas? I sure would welcome them.

If only I could fish my coral beauty out and send it down to Florida. Probably do it via cannon.
Chalk bass are really cool fish. Pretty small though...and if you think firefish are small then that is half the size. Never really thought of firefish as small, they are as long as a finger.

I gather that you don't like coral beauties? Why?
My purple firefish is only, max, two inches.
Saw chalk bass at the LFS. They were about the same size as my firefish. They were pretty and, when I thought I was going to have five Chromis, I thought they would look interesting, about half a dozen of them with the Chromis.
From what I can figure, I'm stuck with small fish. I wanted something I could see clearly from across the room. A 40B was the biggest tank that would fit.

Yeah, I read where they could do that. Hence, the FOWLR. No corals to munch. Have to add him to the tank last, so it will be awhile. Have enough coral for him to eat until time for me to put him in my tank, say, six or more months?

You are definately thinking outside the box with the Betta. However, it eats small fish and shrimp, I have a shrimp and it looks like all I'm gonna get are small fish. Keep thinking outside the box and let me know if you come up with anything else.

I had a Marine Betta. It was interesting for 5 minutes... No offense, just one of my least favorite fish. Reminds me of a young Oscar.

Consider a Potter's Angel. Not easy, but beautiful in a small package.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess all our opinions are different. So, Sniperhank, you have a Betta? LiveAquaria states they are 8" long. Too long for a 40? And never tried to make a meal of your tank's contents?
I had considered a Potter's Angel. I thought the Coral Beauty was beautiful as well. Have never seen either.

You won't see one bigger than 6'. They are shy, slower fish. It isn't a open water fish, but a stalker. Mine flings itself out of the rock and puffs itself as big as possible to intimidate me when I'm near the tank. Really cool b

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom