Are all salt mixes created equally?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aw_Ref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When it comes down to it, are all quality salt mixes pretty much the same? While the difference in price is usually only a couple of dollars between Oceanic, Instant Ocean, Kent, Red Sea, is there really and marked difference between all of them?

As a follow-up, Marinmix and Tropic Marin are yet a few dollars more. Is the price worth it?

I know a lot probably depends on if you are running a FOWLR or a Reef, but just wanted some opinions. I read a post a few days ago asking about water conditioners and ALMOST EVERY response said to use Prime. Just wondering if the same resounding response is out there for a specific salt mix.

Not to sure of the specifics but I have read several posts on here regarding the quality of salt mixes. I usually go with the Instant ocean but Ill step back and see what others have to say! BTW what part of SC are you in???

For FO or FOWLR I'd say they are all created just about equally. However some are better than others for reefs. For example IO as well as Tropic Marin are low in Ca. This means you'll have to tweak your parameters by adding some Ca to the fresh saltwater you use for PWC's. Don't get me wrong, they all have their issues. Success can be had with any. Finding a saltmix you like and working/sticking with it is best. Stability is key.
PS-there have been hundreds of pages online dedicated to the debate of this topic. A quick search should provide plenty of info and experiences.

I think MT79 hit it on the head... "they all have their issues."

Do a search on this forum for "salt mix" and you'll find a lot of good information/opinions. This thread here has some good links...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=92895

I'd definitely advise on reading up on the pros/cons of all the mixes before you just blindly decide on one. And as MT79 also mentioned, once you pick one - stick with it for a while and don't jump from one to another just based on price or availability.

Kurt.

Wow, great link. That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, but I was in the "Getting Started" forum. Thanks for sharing that.

Eric Borneman did a Salt Mix Study with a Houston Reef Club Member and posted his results at MACNA last year. They are indeed different and got VERY different results as part of the study. I think Red Sea and Reef Crystals tied for the best, while Instant Ocean ranked the worst.

You can read part of the study here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php

And Hara was awesome enough to take pictues while we were at the event. You can see those on her website, here:

http://www.fantasyreef.com/macna/macna10.php

Check out all the slides there too. They did measurements on the growth of corals in that time period, amounts of coraline, cyano, cycle times, everything. It was a pretty neat study.

Back
Top Bottom