Are Blood Parrots ethical to own ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry I am not trying to start a big conflict here , but I heard things on both sides of the isle when it comes to this question. Does anyone know a good non-bais run down about them when it comes to this.

NOTE: I know the ones that people dye and bedazzle are questionable. I am just speaking about normal Parrots.

Thanks for the replies so far, however what makes them different then our common dogs? Most of them were made via selective breeding.

Nope. They're malformed so they can't live properly and intentionaly or negligently created hybrids are inherently unethical IMO

Dogs are selectively bred but they aren't hybrids, and they are also generally able to function properly on their own. There are exceptions but I would argue those certain dog breeds are somewhat unethical as well....

Thanks for the replies so far, however what makes them different then our common dogs? Most of them were made via selective breeding.

Apples to oranges.. actually more like raisins to jack fruit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're not all malformed and unable to live properly. I own one and he has no trouble eating and lives a normal happy life just like my other non hybrid fish. He's actually the most personable fish I own. Now if you want to go back to when they first created them and say it was unethical to do so then sure I can agree with that argument. Fact is that they exist now and there's a market for them so there's probably no turning back the clock and them disappearing from the hobby. So if you want to own one I'd say go ahead they're pretty cool fish. If you're a purist and are against it than don't own one. I don't think there's a right or wrong on this issue, it's a matter of preference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are they unethical? Yes. They have numerous deformities and actually chew with their throats I believe.

I had one and it was quite a fun fish very personable. But again, they do have many things wrong with them.

Caleb

Wasn't trying to justify the fish I own. The OP asked about opinions and I gave mine based on my own experience as an owner of a blood parrot. Your argument was that they are all deformed which causes them to not be able to live a normal life, which isn't true per my experience with them. I honestly couldn't care less what anyone thinks of what kind of fish I own but the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Wasn't trying to justify the fish I own. The OP asked about opinions and I gave mine based on my own experience as an owner of a blood parrot. Your argument was that they are all deformed which causes them to not be able to live a normal life, which isn't true per my experience with them. I honestly couldn't care less what anyone thinks of what kind of fish I own but the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Oops... I apologize. I wrote that at 3AM and thought it was the OP. My bad.

Sorry I am not trying to start a big conflict here , but I heard things on both sides of the isle when it comes to this question. Does anyone know a good non-bais run down about them when it comes to this.

NOTE: I know the ones that people dye and bedazzle are questionable. I am just speaking about normal Parrots.

Out of interest why ethically would you see glofish or painting/dyeing as questionable and blood parrots as not? I'm just curious as working out what or why you are making the distinction may answer the question for you perhaps.

Out of interest why ethically would you see glofish or painting/dyeing as questionable and blood parrots as not? I'm just curious as working out what or why you are making the distinction may answer the question for you perhaps.

I am learning a lot from this topic , however so far I see a Parrot as like a Mule, some type of dying is like injecting crap and stuff to the fish.

A mule however is not crippled. Mules can function normally with the only downside being sterile. With blood parrots most are physically handicapped. Blood parrots are more like a mule with 3 legs

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Befire i say this know i hate glo fish, but Most GLO fish are no longer dyed/injected. Theyve had jellyfish genes spliced into them and most breed this way now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok ok.. a few things to consider before comparing all.these apples to parking cones. Mules, horses, dogs, dare I say humans.. were all mixed and matched for a purpose. Working,pulling,pushing,hunting, racing, jumping, chasing, fetching. Lots of specific tasks. Some newer breeds of dogs are similar to b. Parrots in that they've been bred into a deformed state and I find them equally as disturbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^^^^ thanks for posting that. I feel abt the same way. Just couldn't get it out.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom