Are Gouramis Friendly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kuhlis should be in groups of at least 5, I have over a dozen. I love my little wormy dudes.

The only time gourami's will kiss (as most do this) is when you have more than one male in the tank as they will compete for dominance. If you get more than one, I would recommend getting females.

There is definitely safety in numbers. With just a couple, you haven't even experienced their wonderful normal behavior. Absolutely get more. You've got the room for at least 8 of them.

Alright ill definatly look into that thanks. i love watching them swim when i get the chance. theyre so different from everything else.

I have a dwarf in my 46 gallon community and he's happy and he doesn't go after anyone. They can be very peaceful if kept properly.

Most stores only sell Male Dwarf Gouramis. Females are plain and usually Silver. So 1 male DG should be fine. I like the Honey Gouramis also T ( or C ) chuna. There is a Dwarf Gourami disease and Honeys don't get it.

The following is a quote from http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx

Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIV)
The quality of the dwarf gouramis in the trade has steadily declined for years, with batches of fish showing significantly higher levels of mortality than 10 years ago. Historically, retailers and aquarists have blamed bacterial infections, such as fish tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum). In recent years, though, attention has focused on a virus known as dwarf gourami iridovirus or DGIV.

Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.

Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently very common. One recent study of fish exported from Singapore found that 22 percent of all dwarf gouramis carried the virus. Aquarists should never purchase dwarf gouramis from fish aquariums containing fish exhibiting symptoms consistent with the dwarf gourami iridovirus, and all new fish should be quarantined for at least six weeks prior to being placed in the main fish aquarium.

For most aquarists, my best advice is to keep the hardier alternatives to dwarf gouramis. The thick-lipped gourami (Colisa labiosa) and the banded gourami (Colisa fasciatus) are both similar in size, temperament and coloration and make excellent alternatives. " end quote

I'd include Honey Gouramis also as a good alternative as well :)
Or buy from local breeders that have not had issues.

I came across all this info while I was researching DGs and was extremely worried. I just decided to go for it though, couldn't help it, I love the body shape and colors. It was exactly what i was looking for. I've had him since the end of April and he's still doing great so I hope it lasts! The honey gourami was my other choice but all my other fish were red or orange so I thought I'd throw I hint of blue in with the DG. :) You may consider the honey just to be safe!

I have 2 dwarf flame gouramies and they get along well, I think they are both males. I also have 1 opaline gourami he also gets along fine with the other fish(11 silver tipped tetras, 6 rummy nose tetras 6 guppies, 3 CAEs in a 90 gallon) . I absolutely love my dwarf flames they have great personality, they love to be hand fed.

I think dwarf Gouramis can be a bit temperamental but mine are lovely ! It depends on their personality. Hope I helped!! :D

I would go with the dwarf gourami too. they're beautiful! They have a lot of personality too. I love the way they feel around with their feelers. Also I had one get his broken (or bit) off and it does grow back. Their bodies get more elongated and muscular (more like a porpoise's) as they get older too.

Back
Top Bottom