Are guppies normally agressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 4ft tank ,that is about a month old at present I have 2 x bristlenose catfish,2 x bronze catfish,2 x dwarf neon gourami, 2 x opaline blue gourami, 1x indian banded gourami,1 x black moor,1 x fantail goldfish,1 x platinium gourami,20 x neon tetras,4 x head and tail light tetras,1 x rummy nosed tetra and about 20 little platies( which are feeder fish for our other tank which has a saratoga and barras).All the fish are small and the biggest are the gouramis and goldfish whish are about 6cm long.I had 4 guppies in the tank but I had to take them out as two of them a male and a female were attacking the other fish and eating their tails off,they killed two rummy nosed tetras ,one neon tera and a platie all in one day.I thought guppies were timid little things,All the other fish are getting along fine,I had a bit of trouble with two rosey barbs and a fantail attacking other fish early on so I rehomed them,the new fantail is much more peaceful,the other one now lives in our pond with a couple of comets and is doing fine.I really want to breed guppies will they have to have their own tank?,they are in a little goldfish bowl at the moment until I can get them another tank.

I thought it was very strange ,but i actually sat there and watched two of them at it,they were picking at the blue gouramis last night,but the gouramis didn't seem to care then ,I found a neon with no tail,then this morning a rummy nosed tetra with his pretty tail chewed off,so I sat and watched and sure enough the male guppie and the prettiest female chased another rummy nose and bit its tail off,the other two females seem really placid but I moved them just to be sure.They are really well fed and the tank is really big so I just don't understand why they did it.I see you have yabbies do they eat your fish? we have redclaw and they are little rat bags,so they are in a big tank with barra and saratoga.

We have killer Guppies in our 29 g. 3 of them a male & 2 females ganged up on our smallest male - ripped his fins and literally just tore him to shreds while we were out - he later died after I put him in seclusion. Everyone swears Guppies are so nice and don't harass but I've seen different. The trio is fine now and they don't bother the other community fish because the others are larger and would kick their fins.

the tank is 4ft long ,it holds 480litres I don't know how many gallons that is?I have taken the guppies out and put them in a little goldfish bowl,I would like to put some guppies in the bigtank,so I may try put the two females who weren't being killers back in and see how they go .I haven't got a heater for the goldfish bowl so I am concerned the guppies will get to cold in there,can guppies survive in ponds?I will have to get a bigger tank for bonnie and clyde,which is what I have :lol: named the two naughty guppies

Back
Top Bottom