are metal stands sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got a cheap one off craiglist (yay!) but I can't help but doubt such a scrawny looking metal stand can bear the weight of a 20g tank! I know they work and people use them all the time, but I just don't get it. Is your metal stand trustworthy?

Thanks!

metal is stronger than wood... angle iron, which is what most metal stands are made of, is very strong. I have a 29g on a metal stand... never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't be strong enough. I guess working with metal a lot in school gave me confidence in it.

I use a metal stand and have no problems...I reinforced the frame by placing two extra supports in the middle. I also had my stand coated 3x (ideal is at least 2x) to protect it from water damage (i also have a saltwater tank :p).

Ok thanks for the input! I do feel more comfortable with it now. I guess because the stand looks delicate, with so few supports and pretty details on the sides, I just couldn't imagine it holding up a tank!

Thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom