Are most inverts safe to pick up with your hands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lions, triggers and ......... Rabbits????? OH MY????? Wait thats not right. :lol:
Its fairly easy to know what to NOT touch in fish though. Tangs, rabbit fish, triggers, some puffers, etc. etc.

I pick up my triggerfish whenever I need to. He's pretty tame, but if there's food present, he bites. On dives we use to wear gloves, but stopped when it was pointed out that you shouldn't touch most coral anyway and a gloved hand was harder on a fish's slime coat than a bare hand is. Same with coral. We use to pet groopers and morays in the wild.

I pick up my triggerfish whenever I need to. He's pretty tame, but if there's food present, he bites. On dives we use to wear gloves, but stopped when it was pointed out that you shouldn't touch most coral anyway and a gloved hand was harder on a fish's slime coat than a bare hand is. Same with coral. We use to pet groopers and morays in the wild.
I pick up triggers and eels as well but I will not reccomend it in the event someone is bit by one lol. They are pretty tame but in my experience triggers and eels won't bite and it's like they seem to get to know their care taker.

I should make the same disclaimer:

Do not pick your fish up. They might bite you.
I second that! Thats why I won't state my business's name or location on here haha. People who dont agree or my advice doesnt work for them may try to ruin our hard earned reputuation.

Back
Top Bottom