Are my catfish okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

I have a properly cycled 30 gallon freshwater tank that I stocked yesterday. I purchased two bala catfish, three pink skirts and three serpaes. I'm going to purchase at least one or two more of both of the aforementioned tetras soon for schooling purposes.

The tetras have adapted to the new tank well and seem to be eating. However, the catfish do not seem to be fairing as well. The parameters are pristine and the temperature is fine. They came from the same tank that the skirts were in and seemed fine before I bought them.

Of the two catfish, one of them has been going up and down one side of the tank for hours on end. He is not lacking oxygen and I'm not sure he even stopped overnight. I'm guessing he sees a vague reflection? I'm just getting worried. The other catfish goes elsewhere, but seems to follow in the other's lead soon after.

I know that catfish, as scavengers, are probably more energetic than most fish, but this is ridiculous. Perhaps its because he is scaless as a result of being crossed with a bala, and therefore more sensitive?

Other than the constant moving, he is exhibiting no other irratic behavior and seems fine externally, but has no interest in eating. Please help.

Thanks,
-Shaun

wish I could help you - don't know about catfish, but this sounds just like my loaches. crazy guys! up and down the sides - constantly! it is just they way they are. at the pet store they just hang around on the bottom, but at home they are going crazy up and down the sides. I was told they like to be up against something.
now I will say they also swim along the bottom and on the boat and the back wall and... up and down the sides. nonstop! I NEVER see them sleep! well except 2 times when I thought they were dead, but turns out just sleeping.
hope your guys are fine. maybe they are like my loaches

mine do what I call "loaching". they are on the bottom digging through the rocks, on the sides of the boat looking for stuff, into the plants sucking off whatever is there. seems like they are in the constant eating mode (when they are not doing the crazy up and down the side thing). I do drop pellets in there about every other day and have seen them go after those.
they kind of remind me of mollies (or should I say mollies remind me of them?) always pecking on the decorations looking for yummy stuff that you can't see but they must be finding

All right. I'll suppose I'll just start leaving algae wafers and shrimp pellets about and hope he cools off enough to find them. I know what you mean about the mollies, mine did that before they got hooked on frozen brine shrimp every day. Thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom