Are my fish sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im starting a fresh thread because i really want to get to the bottom of this. If someone who had experience with sick fish, it would really help alot as im a beginner and not that experienced.

The fish:
8 neons (4 died previously)
4 sterbai cories
1 betta

These fish have been in the tank for a total of 3 weeks. My tank was fish-less cycled.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10-20ppm
Ph- On normal ph API it shows as 7.4, on High range it shows as 7.6
Temp- 26 degrees Celsius
Size- 18 gallon/ 70 liters

I do 20% water changes every week, even sometimes 2 times a week if i feel there is left over food.

Neons:
They seem to swim around happily and come to the surface to eat. Their gills seem red. One gets really edgy and darts around and twitches, I noticed his fins were black but then it went away. One of my neon's had no tail when i brought him but its slowly growing back. Usually they will just hang out near the filter.

Betta:
He surfaces alot and comes up to eat but spits out little bits of food. He sleeps on bottom of tank. He swims against glass alot. I noticed 2 red squiggly like lines on his body when i woke up. They were not there before.

Cories:
Gills are red on all four. One looks pale and his head is kinda red. They mainly sit at bottom of tank and dont seem very active. They dig through sand but when they eat the pallets little bits of food seem to be coming out through their gills (is this normal?) Its like they leave behind little food particles.

Could it be a parasite? Should i treat just to be safe? Ill be happy to give any more details you may need.

Back
Top Bottom