Are my guppies pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babaloo151070

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I bought two guppies today both look quite fat. One of them has a dark spot the other isn't as noticeable yet when they are free in the tank the males just nip at them all the time.

image-3423213552.jpg

image-3261562985.jpg

Can anyone advice if they are pregnant. Thanks in advance I am very new to all this. The pictures show them in the birth traps as I didn't want them to be stressed out too much by the male

the female will give birth every 28 days or so the traps are for the females only the males will pester all the time i wouldnt keep them in traps unless you were specially breeding if you want young then buy lots of small plantts and create hiding places for the females so they can get a rest

Your Guppies

Hello Bab...

If you bought your Guppies at the LFS, they're pregnant. The mainline fish farms that raise Guppies, keep all the fish together, so the females are pregnant as soon as they're old enough.

You don't need to buy males, because you'll get a good number of them when the females give birth.

Guppies reproduce about every month, so you'll need to start with a bit larger tank. I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 30 gallon.

I have large tanks of Fancy Guppies. I started with about a dozen or so seven years ago and now have about 1,200 or so individuals. So, unless you have ways to give them away, you really need large tanks.

B

Back
Top Bottom