Are my guppies pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi all. i am new here. i have read lots of threads but never posted or started one.. I have a 20 gal freshwater tank. i have several guppies, many tetras different kinds, glo fish,and others... first i am curious if anyone else has issues with their guppies acting dopey high then dying? i have had this happen a few times maybe 3.. they start by hiding, then they slowly start swimming closer to the bottom. then they lay on the gravel, appear to get startled and swim a little.. but end result always death.. :(
next question do you think these girls are pregnant?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 101
I see the spots on 2 & 3 but the guppies are probably not due for a while. I don't know for sure but when my guppy gave birth her belly was 3 x the size of theirs:p Mine wasn't a delta though so it may be different for yours

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

These are fancy guppy. I I bought with the spots and kind of larger. The other 2 I've been waiting very impatiently for something. I lost 1 who looked pregnant. On a differant note I've lost a few guppies all the same way. They act almost high gradually swim toward the bottom? Then they lay on the gravel, get startled and swim off. I've lost 4 like this, I can recognize it but not sure if I can help them. Anyone care to help this newbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have male and female guppies, they will breed. The females take about 3-4 weeks to develop the babies and then give birth. They give birth monthly, even if a male only mated with them one time. They hold the males sperm and can use it on more broods.

Also, guppies aren't freshwater fish. They are brackish water, so go to your local fish store and pick some brackish salt to add to the aquarium. It raises the survival rate of all guppies and it will make them breed more.

Did you test your water? What are your readings ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True that. Any female guppy old enough to breed, will breed. By the time you get them from the store they're usually already pregnant without the big belly:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Thank you all very much. I know nothing of bw but will get what you advised, will this harm my other fish? I've been buying according to trusting the store as to how the are together. Thankful they all get along well, no bullies.
I have tested my water and it's right on, thankfully. I'm trying to grow a Lily plant and have a banana plant that's it. I'm scared to add plants.
I've had my guppies a few weeks no babies, and no huge marble looking bellies. :(

It depends what other types of fish you have, but normally it's fine. I have a betta, bottom feeders, and angels in my brackish tank.

Hopefully they'll all be fine. Can someone help me with my molly? I NEEED to know when she'll give birth. I'm just really excited for the opportunity to raise the babies. She looks pretty large and one fish keeper said it'll be a couple days but I just want to be sure:) Here she is: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405444944.605360.jpg

Is it bad that she's constantly shaking? Should I feed her more often?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Hopefully they'll all be fine. Can someone help me with my molly? I NEEED to know when she'll give birth. I'm just really excited for the opportunity to raise the babies. She looks pretty large and one fish keeper said it'll be a couple days but I just want to be sure:) Here she is: View attachment 243281

Is it bad that she's constantly shaking? Should I feed her more often?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

She looks a bit boxed off. She'll be giving birth in the next couple days, my guess is tonight or tomorrow night. Feed her a bit more and see if she eats it. She is developing babies so who knows lol

If the shaking is wiggling, and not just swimming around, then she might be in labor right now.

I have 1 angel, several different tetra, glo fish, a couple of ground eaters, some I forget what they are. But read before purchase and all except the angel are supposed to have very good temperment. It's the sucker fish I worry about. They eat anything and always act hungry

I have 1 angel, several different tetra, glo fish, a couple of ground eaters, some I forget what they are. But read before purchase and all except the angel are supposed to have very good temperment. It's the sucker fish I worry about. They eat anything and always act hungry

All of those fish should be fine with brackish salt. Do a water change, and mix the salt into the new water before you put it in so nobody gets the chance to eat it.

hi if you don't mind checking my latest post that would be highly appreciated. My fish are dying and I need help please.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

She looks a bit boxed off. She'll be giving birth in the next couple days, my guess is tonight or tomorrow night. Feed her a bit more and see if she eats it. She is developing babies so who knows lol

If the shaking is wiggling, and not just swimming around, then she might be in labor right now.

Ok I'm getting food for the babies in an hour or so. She's eating a lot, I fed her again. She's wiggling but also swimming around, quote frantically actually. It's so confusing. Oh and if you don't mind checking my latest post that would be great. My fish are dying and I think the mollies brought something bad into my tank. thanks:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Ok I'm getting food for the babies in an hour or so. She's eating a lot, I fed her again. She's wiggling but also swimming around, quote frantically actually. It's so confusing. Oh and if you don't mind checking my latest post that would be great. My fish are dying and I think the mollies brought something bad into my tank. thanks:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I just posted on the pleco/angel thread :p

If you start getting into breeding more I would suggest Archocentrus Nigrofasciatus, Convict Cichlids. They're easy to breed, they're egg layers, they form life bonds with their mate, and they will take care of their eggs and young. Mine are in the process of guarding eggs, they take turns while the other goes and scoops sand into their mouth and puts it in a pile to make a den for the young lol

[QUOTEo=Istrom;2991557]I just posted on the pleco/angel thread :p

If you start getting into breeding more I would suggest Archocentrus Nigrofasciatus, Convict Cichlids. They're easy to breed, they're egg layers, they form life bonds with their mate, and they will take care of their eggs and young. Mine are in the process of guarding eggs, they take turns while the other goes and scoops sand into their mouth and puts it in a pile to make a den for the young lol[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for everything. I'll keep you posted on the molly, at the moment she's swimming(really fast) and is chasing anyone who comes near. Every so often she slows down and wiggles and then goes again. It's so entertainingXD

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Thanks, Istrom & everyone for the help. I was going to do a water change today. I am guessing I dont need to change it as often as I do. But i rather keep it clean and free of any problems than have a huge mess. I usually clean out every 10 days. That consist of 50 -75% water change, rinsing off ornamental items, and every couple times i take the gravel out and rinse that down.. what a pain gravel is...

Haha yeah, I would say put her in a separate container or tank for birth but at this stage, she might abort her fry if you move her.

so to sum it up you say this? get the bw salt and do a complete water change, and just leave miss shrimp and let nature take its course and hope for the best?

Back
Top Bottom