Are my snails mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinmon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys! I've only had my tank about 2-3 weeks and I have some ramshorn snails that came in on some plants. This morning two of them are stuck together - like if you put shell opening to shell opening, that's how they're positioned - is this mating?

I rather like the snails, so I'm not worried.... Er, should I be? :)

Thanks!

Jchillin said:
Unfortunately (or fortunately...depends on your situation), ramshorns are asexual.
although i agree that can reproduce asexually if need be, i am pretty sure they are hermaphodites (both male and female in the same animal) and will "mate" and swap genetic material when ever possible.

not 100% on that one, but from an evolutionary point of view asexual reproduction in not very good

sex = new genetic combinations = stronger individuals = (y)

JDogg said:
Jchillin said:
Unfortunately (or fortunately...depends on your situation), ramshorns are asexual.
although i agree that can reproduce asexually if need be, i am pretty sure they are hermaphodites (both male and female in the same animal) and will "mate" and swap genetic material when ever possible.

not 100% on that one, but from an evolutionary point of view asexual reproduction in not very good

sex = new genetic combinations = stronger individuals = (y)

That is entirely possible and well should occur from time to time. I'm not 100% sure either.

watch for clutches. You will see little round things (smaller than a dime) on your glass, plants, gravel, anywhere underwater. After about a week, you can really see the snails forming in the clutch. Then, one day, the clutch will magically disappear, and you won't see the snails until they get bigger.

I have had my red ramshorns for a few months now, and just got the pleasure today of watching a clutch hatch. They breed like crazy, laying (IME) 13-20 eggs in a clutch. I love mine, can't wait til the babies get bigger. I have seen the baby ramshorns in one of my tanks, they are at least a month old (haven't had the adult snails in there for about that long)

well hate to say this but i got only 2 snails with my plants and had some jelly sacks on the plants. well long story short i got over 50 snails now lol they mate like rabbits . i just suck them up when i clean my gravel keeps the numbers down . good luck

Heeee! Okay, I believe I now have snail eggs. Flat discs of round things stuck to my driftwood, large ramshorn snail spotted nearby....

I REALLY hope I don't end up with a tank FULL of snails, but I'm getting some algae so I'm sure I could use a few more! I think I have a red one and some spotted ones and some brown ones.... Okay, I can't help it, new tank, first eggs... I'm excited! :)

yep, sounds like eggs. Watch it over the next week or so, you should start to see little round things inside the clutch. Those are baby snails :D I had more hatch while I was out of town, I am about to have alot of red ramshorns ;)

A lot of people say they have problems with snails, but I've had a population of them in my tank for about seven months now and they haven't gotten out of control. Apparently, there was a clutch of those little ramshorn eggs on some plants I got, and they hatched into a few snails. Now there are probably dozens (maybe as many as 50) little ones hiding in there, but they don't bother me. My tank is a 29 gallon and I figure they just eat any leftover food and act as scavengers helping to keep the tank clean. I actually enjoy watching one or two glide across the glass on their epic journeys from one side of the tank to another. So I like them.

Of course, I could be writing in a few months ranting and raving how I have 700+ of them, and you will all just smile and shake your heads. :)

Heh, I realized there's several more discs of eggs than I'd originally seen... I could be in for a population explosion as well. We might be ranting and raving together! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom