Are reef crystals necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are instant ocean reef crystals needed? I have been useing their normal salt for months and my corals thrive, my lfs has a 20% off on all their salt and i am thinking of getting the reef crystals. Do i need it?

That depends what you are doing IMO. Heavy sps tanks will need higher calc, alk, and mag levels. Though tbh, I wasn't a fan if reef crystals when I used them. Was too hard to mix. Same with regular io. I liked kent, but it left a white ring in my mixing bucket. Currently using Red Sea pro and really like it. Tbh, I think many of is buy what is on sale.

That's odd, I find reef crystals the easiest to mix, they don't even make it to the bottom of the container most of the time and the water is clear within a minute or two.

I don't like how reef crystals mixes either. It always leaves a brown residue in my mixing barrel. I'm assuming you are using Instant Ocean at the moment. If you upgrade to a reef grade salt mix your corals will do much better.

I don't like how reef crystals mixes either. It always leaves a brown residue in my mixing barrel. I'm assuming you are using Instant Ocean at the moment. If you upgrade to a reef grade salt mix your corals will do much better.

How much does it usually sell for? For a 5g bucket? My lfs has it for 60$ and its on sale for 48$. Is this a good price?

I like Foster and Smith because shipping is free on anything over $50. I've used RC for 10 years (IO before that) and don't have the precipitation problem X describes. It dissolves fast. I haven't cleaned my mixing barrel in a year and there is just a bit of matter on the bottom, mostly calcium. It does have some vitamins added which is controversial, but it is in general much better for SPS. You can easily use IO, but you may need to dose cal/alk if you want SPS using it. Lots of other salts and they all work fine.

I like Foster and Smith because shipping is free on anything over $50. I've used RC for 10 years (IO before that) and don't have the precipitation problem X describes. It dissolves fast. I haven't cleaned my mixing barrel in a year and there is just a bit of matter on the bottom, mostly calcium. It does have some vitamins added which is controversial, but it is in general much better for SPS. You can easily use IO, but you may need to dose cal/alk if you want SPS using it. Lots of other salts and they all work fine.

Ok, i will get some then. I have alot of SPS in my tank so i guess i need it.

I use reef crystals and hate the way they mix but my sps corals (acros, birdsnest, montis) are all growing great. However, I will be switching to Red Sea pro when I run out of reef crystals.

I use reef crystals and hate the way they mix but my sps corals (acros, birdsnest, montis) are all growing great. However, I will be switching to Red Sea pro when I run out of reef crystals.

Anyone try Fluval Sea? I really like it although it is a bit pricey. It's working well for me in regards to corals looking happy, snails shells growing rapidly, and coralline growth.

I've been using the fluval sea for a few months and corals seen pretty happy with it although I have mostly softies, mixes about the same speed as everything else I've tried and no residue to speak of

I've been using the fluval sea for a few months and corals seen pretty happy with it although I have mostly softies, mixes about the same speed as everything else I've tried and no residue to speak of

That's my only problem. Sometimes I'll get some brown gunk in my bucket. Nothing bad, just annoying I guess.

Funny there is so much difference in peoples experience with RC. A scoop full doesn't hit the bottom of my bucket it dissolves so fast. And I don't see that brown residue many report. Anyway, I think it is the maximum bang for the buck unless you find something else on sale. But as X has said, he rotates his salt mixes. So if you monitor alk and cal, you could probably use any mix available at the right price.

Funny there is so much difference in peoples experience with RC. A scoop full doesn't hit the bottom of my bucket it dissolves so fast. And I don't see that brown residue many report. Anyway, I think it is the maximum bang for the buck unless you find something else on sale. But as X has said, he rotates his salt mixes. So if you monitor alk and cal, you could probably use any mix available at the right price.

Thats all my lfs has and i dont really wanna pay 60$ shipping on amazon for 30$ red sea pro. I am excited to see how my corals do with the new salt, thanks for all you guys help! I will tell how it works for me once i mix some.

Thats all my lfs has and i dont really wanna pay 60$ shipping on amazon for 30$ red sea pro. I am excited to see how my corals do with the new salt, thanks for all you guys help! I will tell how it works for me once i mix some.

Not a bad idea to run some tests on the first batch to know what your starting with.

I know someone who was formerly employed by LA and was told it is pretty much the same as the normal one just slightly higher on some things

I have always used aqua vitro reef salt .
I got a bucket of IO given to me ,
I don't like how it mixes or how my corals reacted to it .
Aqua vitro is a little expensive but worth it IMO
$65 plus tax

I have always used aqua vitro reef salt .
I got a bucket of IO given to me ,
I don't like how it mixes or how my corals reacted to it .
Aqua vitro is a little expensive but worth it IMO
$65 plus tax

Thats what IO RC is at my lfs without the sale, i will look around for that next time i need salt. (in about 6 years lol)

Back
Top Bottom