Are smaller tanks harder to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm fairly new to fish-keeping, but I already have a history of five dead guppies behind me.

I have a six gallon tank. Water changes every week. Last parameters were:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0

This tank has been running for about a month now.

Am I fighting an uphill battle here? We just don't have the room for a larger tank anywhere and I really like the smaller tanks.

Anyone successfully keeping smaller tanks?

Smaller tanks can be kept very easily you just have to monitor water quality a little closer since the water will become polluted quicker. You couldn't go any larger like a 20 gallon?

Smaller tanks can be kept very easily you just have to monitor water quality a little closer since the water will become polluted quicker. You couldn't go any larger like a 20 gallon?

I definitely can put the time and effort into monitoring water quality.

We really don't have the space for anything larger, unless we take something out of our house. Our house is 700SF and we have two larger bird cages in the livingroom. This tank sits on our kitchen table, but even so, we had to brace the table since it's old and small. Believe me, I'd LIKE something bigger, I just can't find a spot for it.

Guppys really shouldn't be housed in tanks smaller then 20 gallons definetly not under 10. Youll want to stick with nano fish or an invert tank which you could browse fish for a tank that size on liveaquaria.com to get an idea.

Guppys really shouldn't be housed in tanks smaller then 20 gallons definetly not under 10. Youll want to stick with nano fish or an invert tank which you could browse fish for a tank that size on liveaquaria.com to get an idea.
Huh. Ok. I thought I'd read guppies (I only have three) were OK for a tank this size.

The problem is guppies are extremely active and breed like crazy so while u may only have three it could turn into a lot more. Basically they need the space to swim around and not get stressed. I would suggest nano fish in a tank that size u coil keep about 4-5 galaxy rasboras are beautiful, also there are a ton if micro tetra species out there. My favorites are the green neon, the ruby tetra, an the ember tetra.

You could also look at something like shrimp or even a dwarf crawfish. Here's a pic of mine

image-25090109.jpg

The problem is guppies are extremely active and breed like crazy so while u may only have three it could turn into a lot more. Basically they need the space to swim around and not get stressed. I would suggest nano fish in a tank that size u coil keep about 4-5 galaxy rasboras are beautiful, also there are a ton if micro tetra species out there. My favorites are the green neon, the ruby tetra, an the ember tetra.
Thank you for the advice.

My three guppies are all males.

I just GIS'd the Galaxy Rasboras - those are cool! I like the tetras, too.

At this point, I am looking at upgrading my tank... we will see. Something has to go...

Red cherry shrimp get to around an inch, and you can keep quite a few in that tank. I think the "rule" is 6 to a gallon. They also breed, so find a good lfs that will buy them from you, or you could sell them online.

Red cherry shrimp get to around an inch, and you can keep quite a few in that tank. I think the "rule" is 6 to a gallon. They also breed, so find a good lfs that will buy them from you, or you could sell them online.

So, even though guppies are about 1 inch, you can't have those in a 6 gallon tank, but you can have shrimp? I'm confused. Is it because guppies move around more than shrimp?

They need more room to swim since they are more active and also a larger Bioload is created by a guppy then a shrimp the same size

Hey callisto9. Guppies can be more difficult than most people think. They are extremely dirty fish and therefore need a larger tank then you think. Also contrary to popular belief they are not all that gentle. In a small tank they will likely harrass each other to death.
In a 6 gallon tank you can have alot! DO you have live plants? With live plants you can have even more as they help clean the water. In a planted 6 gallon I would not hesitate to have 6 ember tetras, 6 pygmy cories, and some shrimp.

Hey callisto9. Guppies can be more difficult than most people think. They are extremely dirty fish and therefore need a larger tank then you think. Also contrary to popular belief they are not all that gentle. In a small tank they will likely harrass each other to death.
In a 6 gallon tank you can have alot! DO you have live plants? With live plants you can have even more as they help clean the water. In a planted 6 gallon I would not hesitate to have 6 ember tetras, 6 pygmy cories, and some shrimp.

Yes, it is seeming they are harder than I thought. :(

I DO have live plants; anubias, java fern, amazon sword, anachris, moss balls and hornwort.

I DO have live plants; anubias, java fern, amazon sword, anachris, moss balls and hornwort.
Ok What lighting do you have? Amazon sword will definetly get to big for your tank! Guppies are filthy. Try some of the fish mentioned above.

Then you have the makings for a good shrimp tank with those plants. Anubias, java fern, moss balls and if you can .. java moss.

Shrimp like RCS are relatively easy to keep and would readily breed. The beauty is that in a 6 gal you cab start with as little as 10 and let them increase their colony over several months. They'd have to breed a few times over before they become too numerous ... Then sell them to members or a trusted LFS.

Don't feel like dealing with breeding ... Then get Amano shrimp ... The larvae require saltwater to develop otherwise they die even though they hatch in freshwater.

Or do 6 RCS and a few Amano if you want to breed some shrimp.

Ok What lighting do you have? Amazon sword will definetly get to big for your tank! Guppies are filthy. Try some of the fish mentioned above.

Just the lighting that came mounted on the tank - 15W fluorescent bulb.

I would love to have some of the fish you mentioned!

Back
Top Bottom