Are snails useful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm wondering if snails (apart from being something different and unique) are actually useful to have in an aquarium? Do their useful good points outweigh their bad points.

I've got a pond snail in the small tank (has had other snail types) with the idea that they might clean up a little and keep algae in check. I'm not sure they do actually help there but they sure poop a lot. I guess that must mean they are doing something but not convinced. Thoughts?

I've found certain snails to have a use in my tanks.malaysian trumpet snails in a planted tank. They turn the substrate and clean up leftover food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Del...

I've kept Ramshorn snails in my tanks for many years and don't believe my tanks would do as well if they weren't in there. They're a good measure of how I'm feeding. If I get too many, I know I need to reduce the amount of food. If there's too few, then I up the food a bit. They clean up the dead fish and plant waste material, so I don't have to vacuum the bottom material. When they die, their shells dissolve in the water and replenish the trace elements the fish and plants need for sustained good health. I can't think of a disadvantage for having them as long as I take care of business and don't feed the fish too much.

B

Ill take ramshorn, pond, and mts over any other. Too me they are essential part of a healthy tank. Majority of us are trying to mimic a piece of nature. Hardy, prolific, diverse, cheap/free, and interesting. Whats not to like? Never have I felt I was over ran or that they did any damage.

My nerites are awesome for algae on decor. They eat algae on the glass, but not in a way that is helpful.

1486417668627.jpg

Rabbits do a great job eating dead or dying parts of plants without disturbing the healthy parts.

Ramshorns are like roombas.

Siphoning snail poop is much easier for me than scrubbing decor and constantly pruning plants. They don't eliminate work, but they do make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom