Are there any tall plants I can't kill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I only seem to manage crypts and anubias without killing them! Even jungle val just melts!

Maybe it's my water which is hard ph 7.6 to 8

Been using root tabs, excel at low dose

Too scared to do co2, priority is fish

Feel like giving up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I only seem to manage crypts and anubias without killing them! Even jungle val just melts!

Maybe it's my water which is hard ph 7.6 to 8

Been using root tabs, excel at low dose

Too scared to do co2, priority is fish

Feel like giving up ?

Swords?
Excel melted my val. Switched to diy co2 and love it much more than dosing.
I was scared at first but I'm already realizing how much better it is and saving for a regulator set up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you do it?

I used this method/recipe

http://aquariuminfo.org/diyco2.html

I used 3 1 liter bottles though. Two for mixture and one for bubble counter/overflow.

images

One thing I ended up having to do upon the advice of one forum goer here was activate the yeast in microwaved water. I needed to heat it up in much hotter water than suggested elsewhere. Also activate it in the hot water with a tiny bit of sugar.

After that I just positioned the output near my filter intake to be distributed throughout the tank.

Im loving it honestly. I have zero desire to mess with excel now. The more I read on glut and the plants it can affect I just decided it wasnt really for me.

there are many types of Vals that will grow under moderate light. Jungle Val is a poor choice because of it's size. There are several that grow to only 24", such as V. spiralis or I think V. americana. . I have grown thousands in plain gravel without ferts or CO2.

Try some stem plants. I've had a lot of luck growing Bacopa carolina (also known as lemon bacopa) in my low tech tank. It's grown so well that I have had to remove a lot from my tank. The great thing about stem plants is you can just snip the tops and replant them.

there are many types of Vals that will grow under moderate light. Jungle Val is a poor choice because of it's size. There are several that grow to only 24", such as V. spiralis or I think V. americana. . I have grown thousands in plain gravel without ferts or CO2.

Mine is jungle val and I don't have issues. What do you mean the size? I love how it could and floats when it gets super long

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anacharis grows like a weed in my tank. Thinking about a RAOK in the spring...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Val's do fine in high PH water with Excel? They melt sometimes but they always come back.

You can try an Aponogeton species. Super hardy, grows very tall, and easy maintenance. Grows from a bulb or tuber. Can be found at Wal-Mart or petsmart in it's bulb state.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom