Are these GBRs and are they a pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I recently got (what was labeled as) German Blue Rams. I picked them too so I should've known whether they are or not. But the false eye and dots on false eye are giving me second thoughts. Can you help me know what I have? Pictures attached.

Male?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431718055.476781.jpg

Female?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431718097.766201.jpg

Both:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431718170.071878.jpg

Sent by me; a Newbie
10g partially planted with 7 Bloodfin Tetras - Est. 1/29/2015

Yep, looks like male and female. But beware that they may not pair up. Well, nothing to be aware of, its just that having a male and a female doesn't mean they will pair up.

Thank you all for your feedback. It does help to get confirmation that watching so many videos on these helped out in the end.

I actually think that the one that looks like a male could be a female with signs of stress. I have seen the female stressed and she is doing good (no dots when stressed and many wen not). On the other hand, the male doesn't seem too different from stressed or not stressed.

I also do understand that if they are of different sex, it doesn't guarantee that they will pair; but, I also wanted to make sure I didn't get two males fighting for territory.

Sent by me; a Newbie

Oh and since I got no response on the type of fish, is it a good assumption that they are GBRs although their false eye spots differ?

Sent by me; a Newbie

They are GBR.
The first is male (Hiding).
His anal fin is the "tell".
None of the blue is in the spot and double or no spot is just water parameters IMO.
I have seen males with blue on the edge/possibly in the spot.
Check out my photos as I have about 150-200 GBR(about 5-8 months old) now.
The ram prefers monogamy but are not "dedicated".
I have forced pairs and witnessed many "second couples" due to loss..
If they are are in a 10g with bloodfins you stand zero chance of breeding/raising success IMO.
They need to be alone and fry separated to stand reasonable chance.
Just my opinion.
Many say otherwise?

I like your thinking and I have thought the same. I am in the process of convincing my partner to get a 20 long or even bigger (just starting topic with the 20) heh. Thank you!

And I do know that the blood fins are hyper and the GBRs would not be able to protect fry in this tank if there was any success in breeding in the first place. Thank you all again!

Sent by me; a Newbie

Back
Top Bottom