Are these Seed Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I got a shrimp tank and I noticed this little bug that crawled on my shrimps head last night. I am fairly sure its just a Seed Shrimp (Ostracoda Podocopida), I worried at first since it was on my shrimp but then I noticed a few others eating java moss. This was the best picture I could get. As far as I know they are fine to be in the tank and can be helpful cleaners.

I wanted to see what you all thought and if they are OK in the tank. The second pic is the bug on java moss.

Thoughts?

04MRKoA.jpg

u1UYAjt.jpg

It does look like it’s a seed shrimp, they come in different colours. I remember reading when I first encountered them they’ll multiply from ‘over’ feeding but you can also buy traps for them online, they’re not harmful though

I read about over feeding too. Which is funny because I dont feed my shrimp but maybe once a week because they refuse to eat anything besides biofilm.

However I have plants in the tank and thats what they are eating. Just a funny thought that "overfeeding" sometimes has nothing to do with physically feeding your pets.

I agree that is quite an odd wording, I was thinking the same as I typed it - Online advice probably should be reworded to a sufficient amount of bacteria that they will eat & live on as it’s really unclear where they come from? I does seem to be more around live plants there have been loads on my betta tank after I put some java ferns in (before I’d put him in there if I remember correctly!) Luckily he’s very greedy so he eats them!

Yeah I might try to get a chilie raspbora to see if they would be willing to eat the little guys.

Back
Top Bottom