Are TopFin tanks reputable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking at tanks and this is the last one I look at before I make a decision. All input is REALLY appreciated. I am looking at an Aqueon 55, a Marineland 60, a TopFin 75 or a Perfecto 75-90. These are based on best price found for sizes I am looking at. I can get the Marineland 60 with lights, a glass hood, tank, heater and stand for 250.00.

Last edited:
I called my local PetSmart and they actually have a 75g TopFin and a 60g Marineland, was shocked to see that. Just wondering as I am looking at a 75 but have not heard too much about the TopFins.

I think you can find a lot better (in terms of craftsmanship--seams, glass clarity, trim) but I also would say they are reputable. They are sold in volume, and I have never seen anyone have a serious issue with them.

Yeah, they aren't high quality display tanks (like the ADA tanks) for sure, but I have 5 top fin 10 gallon tanks, one of which I de-rimmed. They do go a bit overboard on the silicone sometimes though.

all my tanks are topfin no leaks they do glob on silicone but thats it IMO stay away from kkit tanks my 15 was a kit and i don't like how the sealent isnt clear yea i can be that pickey

Thanks all, if I'm going to spend the money I'll go with the Marineland. What type of tank is an ADA and other high quality tanks?

I find that out e everyday. Is a 65 too small to plant? Thinking maybe Takashi Amano. :) really though, 65 is reasonable?

I have a couple of 5 gals planted (See links in my sig). 65 is plenty big. Both 5 gal are ADA tanks.

Sweet, never heard of ADA, been out of the hobby for about 15 years. My dad and I had a tank together but we didn't explore these options. Now that I have gotten back into it an addiction now exists. I know marineland but wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money on the other two.

I don't think it would be a waste of money to go with the top fin. I just think like a lot of things, there are different degrees of quality and craftsmanship.

ADA tanks are honestly over priced... but the quality and clarity is unmatched. So for me, it is worth it.

As far as I know, the Top Fin tanks are just re-branded Perfectos. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem you're going to have with Top Fin (or Perfecto) tanks is that the top trim only works with those cheesy plastic hoods. In a planted tank, you are going to need more lighting than what a cheesy plastic hood will accommodate. A glass hood (Versa Top), if you want one, will not fit the Top Fin tanks. Take the 55 gallon for example. The double Versa Tops are slightly too long to sit down in the lip of the trim. The single (4') Versa Top won't sit down in the lip of the trim because the center brace is not recessed as it is in the Aqueon tanks. Irritating for sure, but you can have the double Versa Top cut by a glass shop I suppose. Or, you can run your tank open top.

I'd suggest a thorough Craigslist search before plopping down all that cash on a brand new tank. The PetChain prices on tanks and equipment are generally pretty terrible IMO. Most of the stands are made of that fake wood junk. Back in my beginning days I spent $189.99 on a 55 gallon stand at a chain store and it was such a rip. It pretty much started falling apart after a few years of normal use, no floods or anything.

Last edited:
i just bought a 10g for.my nano reef i plan on buyin a current usa fixture and runnin it.open tank.am i gn have a isue?

I have Topfin's 37g tall kit ($65 at PetSmart) and althought I don't use the filter, it's a great tank. I rebuilt the light with a DIY kit and the hood is great because it extends to the outside edge of the rim, so if I want to work on the tank with the light in place, I can without fear of it falling in lol. It even has a center support due to its height which was an added bonus.

Don't know about the glass top that SM mentioned but this one came with a Perfecto glass top, only I use the one I had on my Aqueon 29g and it fits perfect on the 37 (same foot print, just taller).

Yes, the issue with the 55/75 is going to be the center brace. You got lucky with the 37 gallon because it doesn't have a center brace, so the glass top fits just fine.

37 is a neat size. :)

Back
Top Bottom