Are urchins safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msmith88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been thinking of getting a long spine urchin for my reef tank and I always do my research before adding a new addition but I've been finding varied opinions. My first question is are urchins safe in the same tanks as clams? I've heard both yes and no.
I've also had a recent problem of coraline algae dying off when I had to move my tank and the tub I transported them in had a crack in it so the water drained out and the rocks slightly dried out. The algae is now coming back strong but I've heard urchins will eat coraline algae. Once again I've heard a wide range of opinions and figured id get some more to narrow it down. Thanks

I have a blue tuxedo urchin and a clam. I have had no issues with the urchin. I wouldn't go with a long spine, because they tend to move things and if you have to do tank maintenance, easier to get you. lol

Thanks, the blue tuxedo was gunna be my next choice if I dont get the long spine. The tuxedos seem to get everything stuck to their spines though... But I hear their sting isn't as bad

Correct..long spines do move things around..they are also great for stripipng off corraline algae. I ended up with six of the little devils when they came in as hitchikers on liverock. They started out tiny but quickly grew and managed to completely strip one piece of medium sized liverock of all of the corraline. I caught all of them and gave them to an LFS who uses them in a pool they use for breeding Bangai Cardinals.

Yeah. If you like your coralline algae do t get a long spine. My husband bought me one and it wasn't too big but stripped quite a few rocks in just two weeks. Needless to say it went back to the LFS and he is still there waiting for a new home. Also- my buddy has an 800 gal tank and took his long spine out (about 7 inches across) because he was eating his coral. I guess he finished off a 12 inch rock full of green star polyps overnight.

I had two pencil urchins for a year. They didn't do any damage to corals or clams but I also never had an coraline algae in that tank. They may have eaten it as soon as it appeared.

Thanks everyone, I love urchins but now thinking their not for me. Thanks for all the help

Thanks, the blue tuxedo was gunna be my next choice if I dont get the long spine. The tuxedos seem to get everything stuck to their spines though... But I hear their sting isn't as bad

If they have things in their spines it is a sign of good health. They can be difficult to keep fed and they eat all kinds of algae, I have researched them and decided they aren't the best for any of my tanks but that doesn't keep me from wanting one.

I recommend them... Mine is awesome and I have no issues with it.

My urchin cleans my power heads really well. Once my power heads start getting some what brown my urchin goes to work on them and makes them look as if cleaned them. Unfortunately he is scratching my acrylic tank I just haven't removed him yet.

Back
Top Bottom