Are you a discus lover? Your help is needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone;

I'm currently performing a fishless cycle on a 60 gallon tank. In the meantime I've been researching stocking ideas. I'm interested in adding discus but I've read so many different views on their care. Specifically, I'm looking for info on water parameters that can sustain healthy discus and potential tank mates. The one thing I would like is to have is at least 1 breed of schooling fish that will add energy to the tank. I'm also interested in hearing about a good source for healthy discus (primarily online).

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that we can get a discussion going that will lead to a consensus of proper discus care.

Thanks!!!

I have heard that they do like the Acidic side of the Ph scale, but they can be acclimated to higher Ph's, Most likely by using the Drip method. Ive also heard that they like softer water, but not sure on that part.

The temp of the aquarium should be around 80-86 Degrees, with that said, the Perfect schooling fish that would go well in those temps are Cardinal tetra, They are spectacular in Big schools.

Also, when getting discus, Make sure not to get the Wild ones or Juvies, they do require more water changes (Once a day I believe) than the Tank bred- adults, which could be a problem for people with a tight schedule.

I dont have any sites that I can find that sells discus so wait for more input.

Aquabid or a good LFS will be your best source for discus. As stated above: Juveniles will be cheaper but in order to avoid stunting you're going to need to do 100% water changes daily until they get past the 3" length.They also can't be kept crowded while they are young.

If this is your first tank I seriously suggest experimenting with other sensitive fish that aren't so expensive! Image having your 5 prized discus worth 100 dollars a piece or more dying from some small oversight. Start with cardinals and blue rams (which require similar conditions) and see if you can keep them alive.

Discus won't add "energy" to a tank, they're pretty chill fish and just kinda float around. I keep my discus at a ph of 7. The lower pH recommendations that you see are also correct, however mine were hatched and raised in 7. Both can sustain healthy discus.
They require clean clean water. People do anywhere from 50% weekly to 100% daily water changes. I do 25% twice a week and also clean the filter out once a week.
Their diet should vary. I feed mine bloodworms, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, discus pellets, and high quality flake. I feed them at least three times a day. They even take food from my hand.
Discus should be kept at 10gal/ fish. So a group of 6 would work for your tank. I've heard they do best in even numbers.
They can be very shy, so if you want a fish that you can watch constantly, discus might not be the choice. Mine hid behind driftwood for months before they would come out in front of people. Sometimes they still hide if you startle them or if something unfamiliar is looking at the tank.
Discus can have very few tank mates, but corydoras, German blue rams, and a few tetra species can add interest and act as dither fish in a tank.
I'm sure there's more to their care, but these are the basics. I recommend buying books on their care to keep around near the tank as quick reference.
If you're looking for a good breeder, I got my discus from Chad Adams in Georgia. Luckily he's about five minutes from my house, but I believe he ships nationally. His email is cadams8888@bellsouth.net. I believe he is a member of SimplyDiscus.com also.
Hopefully others will chime in about caring for discus :)

Aquabid or a good LFS will be your best source for discus. As stated above: Juveniles will be cheaper but in order to avoid stunting you're going to need to do 100% water changes daily until they get past the 3" length.They also can't be kept crowded while they are young.

If this is your first tank I seriously suggest experimenting with other sensitive fish that aren't so expensive! Image having your 5 prized discus worth 100 dollars a piece or more dying from some small oversight. Start with cardinals and blue rams (which require similar conditions) and see if you can keep them alive.

This isn't my first tank but I have generally only dealt with the common fish found at most LFS's (i.e: mollies, tetras, etc). I'm planning on stocking the tank and "aging" it before I add the discus so thanks for the ideas.

BTW, aqadvisor indicated that discus can be kept with angelfish. Are they a good choice? I've seen conflicting info about them as tank mates.
I will vote "no" on this one. One reason, is I think they look bad together in a tank (circles and triangles) lol Others may have successfully been keeping them together though.

Discus won't add "energy" to a tank, they're pretty chill fish and just kinda float around. I keep my discus at a ph of 7. The lower pH recommendations that you see are also correct, however mine were hatched and raised in 7. Both can sustain healthy discus.

My water source is currently at 7.4 ph. Is that too high? If so, what would you recommend to lower the ph without using chemicals. I've read that bogwood is good. Do you have any experience with it?

Also, I now discus aren't lively. I was looking for a second schooling breed that would add that energy. Do you know if boesemani rainbows are a good choice?

My water source is currently at 7.4 ph. Is that too high? If so, what would you recommend to lower the ph without using chemicals. I've read that bogwood is good. Do you have any experience with it?

Also, I now discus aren't lively. I was looking for a second schooling breed that would add that energy. Do you know if boesemani rainbows are a good choice?

I keep driftwood in my tank, it will lower the pH, but steadily over time. 7.4 might be on the high end, I'd go buy some peat extract. I think fluval makes peat pellets that you can add to the filter. I have this for back up in case my pH gets out of whack.
I've read that rainbows need a higher pH, like other cichlids, and are therefore incompatible with discus

Thanks herp_mommy;

I just read your "My Tanks" info. It reminded me that I read discus need plants for hiding. Will they do well with artificial plants, or do they need live plants? I know some people feel that an artificial plant can damage a fish's slime coat due to it's toughness.

Thanks herp_mommy;

I just read your "My Tanks" info. It reminded me that I read discus need plants for hiding. Will they do well with artificial plants, or do they need live plants? I know some people feel that an artificial plant can damage a fish's slime coat due to it's toughness.
I'm sure they'll be fine with silk plants, but stay away from the hard plastic ones.

Hi,
I'm a total beginner with managing my aquarium, but my ultimate goal is to have a planted discus tank. I have been researching the crap out of them, and from what I've learned I feel I am not ready to handle them. When I am comfortable enough with my tanks to recognize the slightest little quirk in behavior, or condition THEN I will go for it.
I am considering using a "beginner" setup with a clean bottom (no substrate), and only driftwood, and a few plants that will grow on the wood. The glass bottom is much easier to keep clean, and these guys seem to be sooooo particular about water conditions. When I'm successfully caring for them with that then I will upgrade to the planted discus tank.
As far as your 7.4 ph, my suggestion is to contact several recommended discus breeders/sellers, and find one that has successfully bred and raised them at a higher ph. I know my angels are supposed to prefer a ph at 7 or below, but they were bred and raised at 7.4, which suits my tap water conditions. This wasn't intentional, cause I learned it later, but lucky me! Everything I've read about trying to fiddle with the ph (even "naturally") makes me seriously NOT want to have to. I figure if I just can't possibly find discus that will tolerate my water then I am going to invest in one of those reverse osmosis systems to make suitable tank water for them. It makes the water soft and acidic with a low ph. It's kind of costly, but so are the fish!
As far as keeping angels and discus together... from what I'm learning about my angel's "personality" and behavior through observance I don't feel that they'd get on well with what I've read about discus. Also I think they are both centerpiece fish, and deserve to be the main attraction of their own castle! I like them each for themselves, and want to show them off that way, but that's just opinion. The red minor tetras I have are extremely energetic, and I love the way they school so neatly! They color up really pretty in a healthy tank too.

BTW, aqadvisor indicated that discus can be kept with angelfish. Are they a good choice? I've seen conflicting info about them as tank mates.

The only angelfish That Ive found that looks good with discus is the Atlum Angelfish, Most caught in the wild, Also very sensitive, and needs a Fully established aquarium.

Like Herp_Mommy said, they kinda dont look good together.
Have you considered Cardinal tetras for a schooling fish? They are awesome and most commonly kept with Discus.

Discus and Angel Fish are VERY closely related, coming from the same habitat and are both cichlids. White Devil on here - although I haven't seen him around- has a nice planted discus tank.

Thanks for all the info guys! I have to admit though I'm probably just as confused as I was before (that's my fault). I think I'm starting to agree with Engel in that I may need more time before I invest in the discus. I think I'll try a school of cardinal tetras first with some other hardy fish and go on from there.

Again, thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom