ARGH! Attack of the midges!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to change out a HOB filter today and when I opened it... Oh my... 30-50 midges came flying out.

My tanks with Canisters don't have any, but it seems all the tanks with HOB filters do. I think I'm going to put in some Fluval 305s on my smaller tanks.

Before I go ahead and do that, does anybody have experience with a midge infestation? As I said I don't see a sign of any on the tanks with canisters, just the HOBs. Right now one of our cats is going nuts trying to eat them, and when I had the top off the tank changing out that (noisy) HOB I actually had two fish jump out of the water trying to catch them... There's no way obviously that the fish are able to keep up with their breeding.

I had some in my tetra hob a few years back. I hear it is a perfect environment for them to live damp and warm. Mine were kept under control by my golden panchax Lillie fish. Other than cleaning it regularly I don't know a way of getting rid of them

Darn it. Was hoping things would sound better.

I'll get some canisters and replace out those HOBs. Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom