Arghhh, fin rot, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 33 gallon/ 128 liter tank with 5 Swordtails, 3 Platies (plus one fry), 4 Otos, 2 Zebra Danios, and live plants. I quaranteed all fish for 2 weeks before adding, and the water parameters have always been fine (ammonia, nitirites, and nitrates 0, pH a stable 8.0). A few weeks ago I noticed the first signs of slight fin rot on 2 Platies. They had very small pieces of some fins missing, with some whitish discoloration around the affected area. Since it was so slight, I decided to try without medications first. Over time, they started healing on their own. Other fishes were affected, too, but in a similar, slight way, and they seemed to act normal, and heal without meds. Then one of the Otos seemed to get it a bit worse last week, with almost half of his tailfin missing, but I think that was the same fish that got attacked by the shrimp. Because of him, I finally added some medicine last Friday, Furanol by JBL (active ingridient nifurpirinol) that is supposed to treat bacterial infections like fin rot. Today, after 4 days of medication, as it says in the directions, I changed 50% of the water and added activated carbon in to the filter. As I was doing this, I noticed one of the Swordtails had a new slight sign of fin rot I didn't see yesterday. Then I noticed 2 of the Swordtails have a couple of light colored patches on their body, possibly velvet? They still act normally, as do the other fish, and the livebearers do NOT have clamped fins. But I'm getting a bit desperate now, like I must have done something wrong to suddenly have all this hitting my tank (of my 3 tanks, this seems to be the only one affected). Apparently Furanol didn't work for the fin rot, and now I'm also having another disease, possibly velvet. Any ideas? Salt? I also have medicine called Punktol in storage that's meant for Ich and Costia (?) that I've never used. I don't think I can raise the temperature in the tank up to 30C, because Otos supposedly can't handle high temperatures, but can they handle salt?

Edited to add: The affected areas in the 2 Swordtails' bodies could possibly be signs on attack: those 2 particular females seem to be acting quite territorial and aggressive towards each other all of a sudden.

You might want to try an anti-fungal med instead of anti bacteria. Don't knwo any brands off the top of my head though.

I don't know how well ottos handle salt. I know that cories don't do well living in salt but can easily handle salt for medication purposes.

If it is aggression then maybe try movign the docrations around the tank (plants too). This might help to set the established tank to the beginnign and the fish will have to reestablish territories and dominance.

Yeah, as I was browsing through a book, I started wondering if this is fungus, instead. The problem is that my LFS will be closed for the next 3 days for Christmas, so Saturday is the earliest I can get new medicine. If the situation gets worse, I'll probably try some salt meanwhile. If it stays stable, I'll just wait.

Yeah, for now I would do some water changes to make sure eveythingis of good quality and keep the salt and warm temps ready.

Back
Top Bottom