Arowana with new world cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking into expanding to a 125 gallon. I currently have a 29 gal of a few juvenile African cichlids. I'm thinking of switching to new world cichlids for the 125 due to the ability to have more plants as well as varied tankmates. Any input on housing a black or silver arowana with similar sized cichlids?

There are no similar sized cichlids, both of those arowanas hit 3-4'. Even one alone would be way too big for a 125. Add cichlids to the tank and you are super overstocked.

Maybe similar sized was worded wrong, but any appropriately sized to live with a young arowana until 2 feet length is reached? I have a friend who has a larger tank but can't add any small fish. I'm going to keep the juvenile until about 2 ft is reached and then give it up to him. I'm new to SA/CA cichlids and dont know about well suited combinations of species. Also, would a standard Pleco do serious damage to a relatively heavily planted tank? I think they focus on broadleaves but I don't know if they would do any serious damage if there were enough plants.

That sounds much better. As long as you have a reliable, permanent home for the aro it shouldn't be an issue.

No common plecos in a planted tank. Go with bristlenose plecos. They are safe with plants, discus, angels, will eat almost any type of algae, and thrive in almost any type of water (soft, hard, 86F, 72F, etc.).

Depending on the exact size of the aro and cichlids you have tons of options. Don't get an aro that still has a yolk sack. Don't buy it if it won't eat pellets. There is no reason they shouldn't eat pellets. I would only feed NLS Thera+A. The aro won't bother other fish unless they fit in its mouth. So as long as it is a little bigger than the cichlids (so they won't bother the aro) you shouldn't have any issues. Obviously you want to avoid very aggressive species like jaguar cichlids, jack dempseys, red devils, etc.

Im sure it's common knowledge but I didn't know jack dempseys and red devils were considered some of the nastier cichlids. Any suggestions on a good mix of cichlids that can live with an arowana up to two feet? I'd like to get some color in there too. Thanks for the responses and answers, I appreciate it.

They can definitely be pretty bad. A lot of it has to do with size and who is there first. In their territory they rarely lose.

Oscars are relatively passive and would do well in that size tank (unlike when people cram them into 55s thinking they are fine). That would be my top pick. They have character, color, are easy to find so you can find the right pattern for you, and are pretty hardy.

It is really up to you though. I sugget looking at the wide assortment that is out there and coming to us with examples to see if they will work.

Back
Top Bottom