Arowana!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arowana, is not a common topic on AA. It's a topic often discussed on the Monster Fishkeepers forum.
Baby Arowanas, okay in a 125G. Adults require an 8 ft. Tank, 300G - 400G minimum. A lock down tank lid is also needed.
Fancy juvenile Arowanas start at about $200. Adults, $800 ->.

Arowanas are definately not the fish for most of us. An appropriately sized tank and stand alone would be cost prohibitive. Wow. Things are really expensive in canada. :facepalm:

They are beautiful fish and I would love to have one but I'm aware of the size and difficulties of the species. I was curious to see if anyone here has successfully raised one

I have had arrowana several times in the past.
One of my all time favorites .
Knowing better now I will probably never have one again unless I build the basement 2-3k tank.They don't belong in our tanks IMO. I always had mine a 6' 135 or 180 and just don't think that is enough..
I had 6 juveniles back in the 80s and 1 always owned 1/2 the tank while all others were kept in check.Removing the alpha only resulted in changing who swam on other end..Lasted 6-12 months before I had sold /traded all in.They started at 2 inches and were 8-12 when sold.
Last time in my 180 I obtained a 3-4 incher and it was all of 10 inches in under 6 months and ended up succumbing to some illness . Too small of a tank [stress] was my final verdict as he was the only victim.He was housed with tetras and rainbows..The tetras did not do well either but they passed healthy I am sure .:whistle:
My first aro was all of 16 inches and he was in the 135 with a larger snakehead ,clown knife and red and black pacu pairs !:eek: Talk about over stocking..Been there...:facepalm:
Although I consider them the most graceful fish to watch I just think most of us can not do justice for them..

Research the Monsterfishkeeper species index. Information regarding Arowanas is abundant and easy to access there. I agree, they are one of the best looking fish in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom