Arrowana Information??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Over the weekend we purchased a baby Arrowana. The LFS said he was a Golden Arrowana from Australia, but after doing some research I have found out that Golden Arrowanas do not come from Australia, the Pearl Arrowana does so this must be what we have (I will check his layer of scales when I get home). He is about 3 inches long right now and the LFS owner said to feed him blood worms and keep the temp at about 82 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had this type of Arrowana or knew where to get information on him from. I've done some research but haven't found much out there.

I did a little searching on the web. http://www.arowanas.com/
This seems to be a pretty comprehensive website. Oh and I do know that the Golden Arowana is sometimes called the Asian Arowana which might make searching easier. Wish I could be of more help.

I don't know much about them except that they get too big for any tank I have, or will have anytime soon. They are one of the founding members of the tankbuster club. They get huge!

I tottally agree with Enki. My first fw fish was an arowana that I got at my lfs when he was 3 inches long. I had him in a 20 gal for about 2 monthes before it was apparent that this thing was getting huge. Major tank busters. While I had mine I fed it frozen blood worms and crickets but I'm not sure if that was the right stuff or not.

Ooo yeah! I hope you have a BIG tank, somewhere around a few hundred gallons; those puppies top out at around 3 feet long. I've seen recommendations of 125g, but frankly thats too small for a fish that requires lots of swimming room and not just room to turn around in. Also, make sure your tank is well covered; arowanas are notorious jumpers. Theres some basic info about em on fishbase: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Scleropages&speciesname=jardinii

Also, does it still have its egg sac? If so, its VERY young and may not survive...Hopefully the lfs isn't selling arowanas that young!

More info here:
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/arowana2.html

Arrowanas

The arrowana that we got does not still have his egg sac BUT they had a bunch of silver arrowanas that did and they were selling them! 8O Glad we didn't get one. Our tank is a 135 gallon so hopefully he will be happy there. My husbands friend had a silver arrowana that decided to jump out of the tank while it was being cleaned and cut himself on the glass. He went into shock and eventually died so we will be very careful about keeping the tank covered at all times. So far the arrowana is living with three clown loaches.

I have read so much about arowanas yet I can not buy one since I have to small of a tank and I have no money to buy a larger tank :( I too am Jealous lol

They are SUPER aggressive fish. They'll eat anything that fits in their mouth, and they have big mouths for their size. I really want one, but don't think my 125 gallon is big enough... that's how large they get. I saw one in Thailand that was 4.5 FEET long! I think it would eat me, given the chance :D

tabitha - From what I have read they are peaceful fish as long as no other fish in your tank will fit in their mouth, otherwise he will try and eat them. Right now he is living with three clown loaches who should stay bigger than his mouth I hope! I was thinking about adding a black ghost knifefish but I have to check the compatibility first.

Back
Top Bottom