As of now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like your tank. Make sure you add the fish together if your deciding on Angels unless their infants as they can get very territorial. If they grow together then it isn't usually a problem.

Also what filter do you have? This against your decision on stock will determine how many PWC's you will require.

Hope it all goes well for you! :)

Look in to blood fin tetras I have 5 in with my angels and 5 yellow pristillas. And they get along swimmingly lol. Don't go for black skirt or serpaes had them with my angel fish and they were bullys ended up taking them out.

calfishguy said:
I currently have black skirts with my angels as long as you have a big enough school you should be fine.

I had 5 black skirts all in a 55 gallon. And they were all bully to begin with. What other fish do you have?

I think your school wasn't big enough I have 8 black skirts 2 angels 2 plecos 6 rainbows and 3 dg I used to have some black skirts with serpaes and they were fine as well.

calfishguy said:
I think your school wasn't big enough I have 8 black skirts 2 angels 2 plecos 6 rainbows and 3 dg I used to have some black skirts with serpaes and they were done as well.

Have been looking at bosmani rainbows. They the same that you have? Whate are dg's? And what you mean they were done?

Skeeter4158098 said:
Have been looking at bosmani rainbows. They the same that you have? Whate are dg's? And what you mean they were done?

Yes I have boesemani rainbows. Dg are dwarf gouramis. Sorry I might fine not done. My iPod is kinda weird sometimes.

Eagle_133 said:
I like your tank. Make sure you add the fish together if your deciding on Angels unless their infants as they can get very territorial. If they grow together then it isn't usually a problem.

Also what filter do you have? This against your decision on stock will determine how many PWC's you will require.

Hope it all goes well for you! :)

The filter we are using is a sun sun hw-302 outside filter. I was told it was for a 75 gallon so we should have more filtration that what's needed for a tank that size, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. The pump power is 18 w and it says the output 1000L/h. Not sure what any of this means.

As for adding fish, it will probably go in this order with a couple weeks in between each addition:

Pleco
Tetras
Angelfish (will be purchased together)
Blue rams

With schooligh fish, should the school be added gradually, like 5 or so fish at a time until you have the desired number, or all at once?

Borderlesscott said:
I have Lemon Tetra in with my German Rams and they really complement each others colour.

LOVE the lemon tetras! They're bright without looking like those engineered glow fish or whatever they're called. I like the idea of having a bright colored schooling fish because the back of the stank is solid black acrylic. But with the white sand and the light colored plants I think penguin tetras or black skirts would look awesome even though they are less bright.

The Lemon Tetra are even brighter than the photo show and lovely if your going to plant the tank, they always look completely rubbish in the shop tanks, don't let it put you off - colour up in a few days once they settle.

I wish I could see all these fish in person! I saw Rummy Nose Tetras today in a display tank housed with the most gorgeous angelfish...Fell in love. I think my dad and I both agree that we want either yellow/black or yellow/white angelfish. But those adorable rummy's were so dang cute! I saw Red Eye Tetras today, too. And Neons...wow they're tiny!!

I also saw Boesmani Rainbows.....They were very pale...gravel colored even, is it stress or were they female?? I was all excited until I saw them and how tan colored they were.

Boesemanies will colour up as they get older it's normal for them to be ugly when young. If you feed them a varied diet and have a dark substrate they will colour up.

Just got some rummy nose yesterday myself, very nice - though from I've read not recommended for new tanks - you might want to check that out first.

Just got some rummy nose yesterday myself, very nice - though from I've read not recommended for new tanks - you might want to check that out first.

Good to know! I will look into that before deciding. Maybe I'll let the tank mature a bit before/if adding those adorable little buggers. I guess it's good practice for when/if I switch to SW and have to let the tank mature before expecting anemones to survive. Thanks for the info!

Boesemanies will colour up as they get older it's normal for them to be ugly when young. If you feed them a varied diet and have a dark substrate they will colour up.

Glad to hear this! Though, I have white sand in my tank but the background is solid black. Would they color up nicely still with the white sand and good diet?

I added 4 of the bosemani rainbows a couple of weeks ago, and they color up awesome. With all the fish I have purchased, 14 cichlids in their own tank, the green tiger barbs, the rosey barbs, peppered corries, he betta, all of them, the rainbows are my wife's favorite. They are beautiful fish, and seem to have a good temperament.

Good temperament is important! I have been rethinking the black skirts due reading they are nippy. Yet most feedback is that, if kept in sufficient numbers, they are fine. I might take the risk, I have another month or so to think on it. The rainbows are so colorful when in a proper home, I'm pretty much sold. Hope my dad feels the same.

In other news, dosed the ammonia up on Friday night. Back up to four, perhaps a bit more. Tested for nitrites, and we're at about 0.25ppm? Cycling makes my brain hurt. I know it's pretty simple, but I have struggled with simple math and science my whole life!! I need a cycling for dummies or something lol. I swear I have this mental block when it comes to that stuff. Everything else about this hobby I have been absorbing like a sponge. :facepalm: I can't wait for this part of it to be over lol.

UPDATE: I will be starting a new thread on this subject ASAP for help on this current situation.

I have weird algae growing in my tank, and it doesn't look good, it may not even be algae? It's white colored, and has grown onto the side of the glass in one spot, on the filter intake, in the leaves of my fake plants and onto the rock decor. I am wondering if anyone can identify it and can tell me whether it is good or bad?

Attachments

• image-2668015411.jpg
    image-2668015411.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1362342392.jpg
    image-1362342392.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image-4196258343.jpg
    image-4196258343.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 43
  • image-4040126328.jpg
    image-4040126328.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
UPDATE: I will be starting a new thread on this subject ASAP for help on this current situation.

I have weird algae growing in my tank, and it doesn't look good, it may not even be algae? It's white colored, and has grown onto the side of the glass in one spot, on the filter intake, in the leaves of my fake plants and onto the rock decor. I am wondering if anyone can identify it and can tell me whether it is good or bad?

Looks like some sort of hair algae or fungus

I experienced something similar when I was fishless cycling my tank.

When it breaks free of whatever it's attached to it almost looks like "smoke" in the water.

I believe it's due to the Ammonia.

All I did was take out what had it on and cleaned them then put them back in the tank and then did a PWC.

If you are running lights turn them off for the time being.

My suspicions are that it has to do with bacteria, temperature and the ammonia, as once I finished my cycle and reduced temp and stopped adding ammonia it never returned.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom