As soon as I use Pimafix fish die.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Before I used pimafix the guppies had ripped tails, but they were alive, as soon as I added pimafix, and melafix they died, all of my dragon guppies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pimafix contains clove oil which is often used to euthanise fish. You have to be careful not to overdose.

These are commonly used medications and generally dont cause adverse reactions if used correctly. They also arent very likely to be beneficial as they are nothing more than herbal remedies.

I would look more into why the fish had damaged fins as being the cause of death rather than just assume it was the medication.

Last edited:
Make sure you didn't overdose the tank. Use the following formula to work out how much water is in the tank. Don't mix medications because that can overdose them too.

Salt is generally a better treatment than Melafix, Pimafix or Bettafix.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

There are 3.785 litres in a US Gallon
There are 4.5 litres in a UK gallon

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

It says on the bottle how much to use for primefix and melifix.

It says on the bottle how much to use for 5 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon tank, so I used a capful of pimafix and melafix I read a person should use both products.

The rest of my fish are doing, fine.

I presume you mean pimafix and melafix?

Pimafix contains clove oil which is often used to euthanise fish. You have to be careful not to overdose.

These are commonly used medications and generally dont cause adverse reactions if used correctly. They also arent very likely to be beneficial as they are nothing more than herbal remedies.

I would look more into why the fish had damaged fins as being the cause of death rather than just assume it was the medication.

The rest of my fish are doing, fine. It's the guppies are dead. Now I am left with 2 guppies. I had 4 guppies and they are dead.

Do you have any pictures of the dead guppies?

How long did you have the guppies for before adding the medication to the tank?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this happened?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?

How long has the tank been set up for?

My tank is cycled

My tank is cycled. I had the guppies for a few weeks. I bought from a breeder from Ebay. I only use conditioner when doing a water change. My ammonia is at 0. ph is 8.5, which is high. I have the tank for a few months and is cycled.I also get the nitrite, nitrate mixed up. I know one of them is at 0

I do not have pics of the dead guppies.

I do not have pics of the dead guppies. I placed in the trash, the dead guppies.
I did not know what else to do with the dead fish.

what do I do without old filter cartridge?

I put in 2 filter cartridge in my filter. How long do I use extra filter cartridge.? I do not want to take out used cartridge, because it has what my tank needs, at least that is what I was told.

Also can i put 3 male guppies in a 6.5 gallon tank?
I need to remove 3 guppies from my 20 gallon, because I have 9 glo tetra and 3 red eyed tetra in my fish tank. That are fin nipping my guppies.

how many watts heater do I need for 6.5 tank?

how many watts heater do I need for 6.5 tank?

You don't want to replace cartridges unless they start to fall apart. Then you replace them with sponge for a different brand of filter. Sponges last a lot longer and can be cleaned in a bucket of tank water and the sponge gets re-used.

You can add sponges to the filter now and in a few months remove one of the old cartridges.

The cartridges/ sponges hold good bacteria that help keep the water clean. So you only replace them when they start to fall apart.

To clean the filter media (sponges, cartridges), you squeeze them out in a bucket of aquarium water. The media gets re-used in the filter and the bucket of dirty water gets poured on the lawn.

---------------------

If the guppies are being nipped by the tetras, then move them to the 6 gallon tank. Just make sure they have a filter and don't feed them too much. And do regular water changes to keep the tank clean. :)

How many guppies can I put in a 6 gallon tank?

You don't want to replace cartridges unless they start to fall apart. Then you replace them with sponge for a different brand of filter. Sponges last a lot longer and can be cleaned in a bucket of tank water and the sponge gets re-used.

You can add sponges to the filter now and in a few months remove one of the old cartridges.

The cartridges/ sponges hold good bacteria that help keep the water clean. So you only replace them when they start to fall apart.

To clean the filter media (sponges, cartridges), you squeeze them out in a bucket of aquarium water. The media gets re-used in the filter and the bucket of dirty water gets poured on the lawn.

---------------------

If the guppies are being nipped by the tetras, then move them to the 6 gallon tank. Just make sure they have a filter and don't feed them too much. And do regular water changes to keep the tank clean. :)

How many guppies can I put in a 6.5 gallon tank?

I read online that 3 male guppies would be fine for 6.5 gallon tank, but could I get a few more guppies, or is 3 the max for 6.5 gallons?

I would say 3 male guppies is maximum for the 6 gallon tank. They have small territories and need their space so you don't want too many otherwise they could fight. Smaller tanks also have more issues with the water quality deteriorating, so the fewer fish the better the water quality.

Aquarium heaters range in wattages and it depends on how cold the room and house get in winter. If the room the tank is located in stays warm in winter, a smaller heater (50 watt) is probably sufficient for the 6 gallon tank. If the room gets cold, then a 75 or 100 watt heater would be better.

For some reason the 50 and 75 watt heaters aren't as reliable as the 100 watt heaters so look for a reasonable brand with a good warranty. If you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future, go for the 100 watt heater and it can be used in a tank up to 10-15 gallons.

Use a thermometer that sits in the water to monitor the temperature.

That many guppy fish I have left, which is 3 males.

I would say 3 male guppies is maximum for the 6 gallon tank. They have small territories and need their space so you don't want too many otherwise they could fight. Smaller tanks also have more issues with the water quality deteriorating, so the fewer fish the better the water quality.

Aquarium heaters range in wattages and it depends on how cold the room and house get in winter. If the room the tank is located in stays warm in winter, a smaller heater (50 watt) is probably sufficient for the 6 gallon tank. If the room gets cold, then a 75 or 100 watt heater would be better.

For some reason the 50 and 75 watt heaters aren't as reliable as the 100 watt heaters so look for a reasonable brand with a good warranty. If you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future, go for the 100 watt heater and it can be used in a tank up to 10-15 gallons.

Use a thermometer that sits in the water to monitor the temperature.

That is how many guppy fish I have left, which is 3 males. I am getting the 6.5 gallon tank coming tomorrow, I have two 6.5 tanks coming tomorrow, also for my Betta, which will have his very own tank to him self. I order a 25 watt heater for my 6 gallon tank. It works well in my 3 gallon tank, as well. My room is 77 degrees.

Dead Guppies aren't much fun, song

OR original song Dead puppies. I just changed it to dead guppies.

Dead guppies, dead guppies
Dead guppies aren't much fun

They don't come when you call
They don't chase my face at all

My guppy died late last fall
He's still rotting in the tank after all
Dead guppies aren't much fun, no, no, no
Mom says guppy's days are through
She's going to throw him in the stew

Dead guppies, dead, dead, dead, dead guppies

Come on everybody out there, sing along, okay?

Dead, dead, dead, dead, guppies, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead dead dead guppies

One more time for dead guppies!

Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead guppies

Last edited:
I finally up graded my betta tank, from 3 gallon, to a 6.5 gallon, his new home comes tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom