As tanks age ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you manage the changing population?

My original stock, which I don't want to repeat, is aging and dying off.

I worry about the fish that don't have a lot of their species as companions, but acquiring additional fish of a variety I prefer not to keep ...

My tank is now about 75% stocked per aqadvisor and I do plan major changes to the scaping. I'd like to add different fish this time but am concerned about the well being of the current population.

Five glowlight tetras soon to be four I think, seven or so harlequins losing one every month roughly, two rosy tetras ... One oto ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Just a different assortment of small peaceful community fish, more exotic.

This is my LFS ... http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/

... Sooooooo ....

They'd be in the same species probably -- tetras and rasboras and danios -- but the rarer varieties. And I'm obsessed with the dwarf chain loaches, if they'd do ok with angels.

How do you manage the changing population?

My original stock, which I don't want to repeat, is aging and dying off.

I worry about the fish that don't have a lot of their species as companions, but acquiring additional fish of a variety I prefer not to keep ...

My tank is now about 75% stocked per aqadvisor and I do plan major changes to the scaping. I'd like to add different fish this time but am concerned about the well being of the current population.

Five glowlight tetras soon to be four I think, seven or so harlequins losing one every month roughly, two rosy tetras ... One oto ...

This is an issue I struggle with also. I figure my options are to rehome or keep them so I keep them. I am down to one pristella tetra and 2 cherry barbs. While I know they would be better off with more, they do ok, so be it.

I started out with 5 kuhli loaches about 3 years ago and now am down to 2. I've been waiting at least a year for them to pass so i could get Cory cats. But now they are in a larger tank so I caved and am going today to get 5 more!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So, in my experience, tetras are very much community fish. I have not seen a tetra bother anything else other than flake food. So they are not something you have to worry about as far as whether you can put anything with them.

As far as your loaches are concerned... According to this article here they suggest you not put loaches with long-finned community fish. So, if you don't mind your angels being dwarf or any ones other than veil-tails, you should be okay.

So, in my experience, tetras are very much community fish. I have not seen a tetra bother anything else other than flake food. So they are not something you have to worry about as far as whether you can put anything with them.

As far as your loaches are concerned... According to this article here they suggest you not put loaches with long-finned community fish. So, if you don't mind your angels being dwarf or any ones other than veil-tails, you should be okay.

I do notice the tetras, danios, and harlequins begin to shoal together -- just as they did when I was first building the tank and had fewer of each.

These loaches are pygmies, very very very tiny. They don't go anywhere near the Angel, who by now probably is like an elephant to them. They're playful with other fish, I was worried at first, but they've never actually nipped anyone. Good fish.

I do let schools decrease to one or two and the nice schooling action drops off. But if I'm looking to get different fish I guess I'm stuck with that. The fish don't seem too bothered, seem healthy and will school with others so it seems ok'ish.

I've got two remaining rosy barbs that must be about 4 years old.

I do let schools decrease to one or two and the nice schooling action drops off. But if I'm looking to get different fish I guess I'm stuck with that. The fish don't seem too bothered, seem healthy and will school with others so it seems ok'ish.

I've got two remaining rosy barbs that must be about 4 years old.
LOL! I have Black Tetras schooling with Tiger Barbs and Silver Dollars. It's just one big school! :invasion:

Back
Top Bottom