AS vs. AP.com Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had made up my mind to try Aquasoil for my planted 55gal project, but now find myself thinking about the value compared to the price... I know the aquasoil is expensive but at least holds some nutrients. Not sure if there are any AquariumPlants.com people on here, but recently i find myself looking at their substrate (which has free shipping). I realize that everyone out there with an aquarium uses something different, and most things work.. I would be grateful for any input on what everyone else thinks. The tank will have 55x4 T5s & pressurized CO2.

Thanks!

They're 2 completely different products.

Aquasoil comes enriched and containing high levels of nutrients, whereas the AP stuff is benign when it arrives.

The AP substrate will soak up nutrients (if you dose the water column) and supply to root systems over time, but it doesn't come that way.

I have used both. With Aquasoil, I found that I didn't need to dose any nutrients (except K) for a really long time, as the substrate was providing ample nutrients for me and my plants were growing great.

With the other stuff (I technically used a different brand than the AP stuff, but it's the same product) I had to dose heavily the water column to keep up with the demands of the plants.

Both substrates do very well growing plants, they just get there in different manners.

Are you planning on a high-tech tank? aka high amounts of light, ferts, CO2? If so, then aquasoil is something you should consider. If you want a less tech setup (lower light plants, lower maintenance, etc) then I'd stick with the AP stuff.

Aquasoil comes enriched and containing high levels of nutrients, whereas the AP stuff is benign when it arrives.

So it's basically just a decision of whether or not you want to dose ferts (except the K) right away..?

I have used both.
Are you planning on a high-tech tank? aka high amounts of light, ferts, CO2? If so, then aquasoil is something you should consider.

I'll have 4 x 55 watt T5 bulbs, pressurized CO2, and I will probably fertalize via with the EI method.

I'm guessing i should try the Aquasoil???

& thanks by the way!

I think with your setup it really comes down to personal preference, either way can work for you. AS I typically recommend for advanced users, just because it does present some of it's own challenges that are unique. It's also, like you originally mentioned, quite expensive for someone who may or may not really know they really want to be in the planted tank side of the hobby - because it is a lot of maintenance to keep up with.

If you do go the AS route, don't dose anything for a while, Watch your plants, test your levels and see how things go. Definately do not combine AS and EI, that's an algae disaster waiting to happen. One of those challenges with AS is that since the nutrients are coming from the soil, they don't register on test kits the same as dosing the water column, so it requires you to really look at your plants and evaluate what they're doing to make sure you're levels are adequate.

Make sure you incorporate the right mix of AS and power sand - that stuffs the key to success with AS.

ap.com is just turface/sms. you should be able to find it local or something close for a lot cheaper.

aquasoil you have to cycle since it will leech ammonia.

i would also start with maybe 2x54w over the 55 and bump it up as time goes on.

Thanks for the reply guys, good stuff.

ap.com is just turface/sms. you should be able to find it local or something close for a lot cheaper.

aquasoil you have to cycle since it will leech ammonia.

i would also start with maybe 2x54w over the 55 and bump it up as time goes on.

mgamer

- Do you use sms in your tanks primarily due to cost/ease? (think i saw a post from you about hacing used it) Do you just start dosing your fertilizers into the water right away, maybe root tabs, both?

- and why do you recommend starting off with 2 of the bulbs and going to more over time? acclimation period for the plants?

i'm shooting for high lite/high tech, and i don't mind cycling the tank. i want to start this tank off in the proper way way you know? like i said, the information i get from threads and posts on here is amazing. Thanks!

The recommendation to start with only half-lighting is to give you time to get your nutrients in balance without there being tons of light. A nutrient imbalance is the leading cause of algae in planted tanks. There is a learning curve you're going to go through to learn how much nutrients you need to dose.

Also - I'd recommend using the PPS Pro method instead of EI, I have had much better success with that over EI.

- Do you use sms in your tanks primarily due to cost/ease? (think i saw a post from you about hacing used it) Do you just start dosing your fertilizers into the water right away, maybe root tabs, both?
cost and has a better CEC then say flourite and eco at a fraction of the price. you can start with root tabs and ferts. personally think easing into the tank and bumping it up once its more established.

Back
Top Bottom