Aspiring Turtle Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently aquired a free 20 gallon long tank from my neighbor and wanted to do something new besides fish and was thinking of doing a turtle tank. I would like to have a turtle that gets no bigger than 5 inches. Also I was wondering if a turtle tank would stink up my apartment. Any suggestions on the best place to buy such small turtles would be helpful.

Very few Turtles stay that small. Those that do are typically expensive. A Mud Turtle might work.

Bigger is better with turtles. They need lights, heat for water and for the basking platform, and big filtration. usually a canister filter. Turtles are very very messy.

http://www.theturtlesource.com/caresheet_mud_musk_turtle.asp

Adult Aquarium Size
While much larger than the hatchlings, adult mud turtles are still small. They eventually reach 4 to 6 inches in length. While it is possible to maintain a pair of adults in a 20- or 30-gallon enclosure, mud turtles will use and appreciate much more space than this. A good rule of thumb for most turtles is to provide approximately 10 gallons of cage space for each inch of turtle length. A 75-gallon aquarium with about 12 inches of water depth would be ideal for a pair of adult mud turtles. Of course, don’t be afraid to provide an even larger aquarium if space permits.

http://animals.pawnation.com/big-mud-turtle-aquarium-need-be-4908.html

There are a lot of vids on YouTube as well of Turtle set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ouachita map turtles stay fairly small. Try and get a male of any species you decide to go with. Males stay smaller than their counterparts. My male ouachita is probably 3 and 1/2 inches and is about 4 to 5 years in age. Whereas my yellow belly slider and RES (both female) are 2 years old and are 5 to 6 inches in size. If you want a male for sure u will have to get an older turtle because it's very hard to sex them when they are young.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a turtle tank in my bed room and it doesn't smell at all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom