Assasins and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
So assassins snails will eat shrimp like cherries? I've read online that they have. I have a pest snail outbreak and want to add some but not if they will eat my shrimp. Any personal experiences?

So assassins snails will eat shrimp like cherries? I've read online that they have. I have a pest snail outbreak and want to add some but not if they will eat my shrimp. Any personal experiences?

Yes, they will attack and eat slow moving or sickly shrimp if there isnt any other food source. If there are enough snails, the assassin will readily choose the snails over fast moving shrimp simply because snails, well, move like snails :D

yeah.. I think the shrimp would need to be pretty well at Death's door if it couldn't get away from an Assassin snail.

That's what seems common sense to me but I read on some forums that they had a healthy colony and it still happened. I stick tongs in there and they freak out and swim away I can't see how a snail could get a hold of them lol

Yah I may have accidentally proved this theory off yours.. I had 10 RCS in a assassin colony tank.. A month later I may have the one biggest one left but I haven't seen it in weeks:( assassins will also go after fry.. They will pretty much kill anything they can catch..

My assassins don't pay much attention to any thing that isn't slow moving or dead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 4 assassins in a 55g that I also have rcs in and they don't seem to bother them at all. I bought 12 about 2 months ago and now probably have well over 40. I have at least 2 berried almost all the time. I got the assassins because I had pond snails though and they haven't run out of those yet.

I have a tank that is only rcs and assassin snails been going close to two years and never had a prob with them killing each other
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401391416.815776.jpg

Back
Top Bottom