Assassin eating shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a few Cherry Shrimp and was planning on breeding a few. Well, i got a few Malaysian Trumpet snails to Aerate my sand and keep the tank looking spiffy. Then I read that they can breed out of control, so I got 1 assassin Snail. Now I find out Assassin SNAILS CAN AND WILL EAT CHERRY SHRIMP AND OTHER TYPES OF SHRIMP!

Assassin snails eat live shrimp!

Is it true? Has anyone seen them eat a shrimp? I just isolated my snail in a breeder net till I figure out what to so with him. I read that you need 2 to tango, so might drop him/her in my other tank with Ghost Shrimp and see how they fair. I am not too happy with my ghost shrimp for eating or harassing an Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp to death. :mad:

I need the guidance from the community. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.

I have kept assassin snails in shrimp tanks before, and the only shrimp I've seen them eating are dead ones. You'll be fine.

Also, ghost shrimp are carnivorous - don't be surprised if they eat RCS or OEBT's. I would take them out of your shrimp tank ASAP.

Ghost shrimp is a generic name for a few similar species of shrimp. Some are just scavengers and are ok with RCS and OEBT's, but some are predatory.

I just bought a few Cherry Shrimp and was planning on breeding a few. Well, i got a few Malaysian Trumpet snails to Aerate my sand and keep the tank looking spiffy. Then I read that they can breed out of control, so I got 1 assassin Snail. Now I find out Assassin SNAILS CAN AND WILL EAT CHERRY SHRIMP AND OTHER TYPES OF SHRIMP!

Assassin snails eat live shrimp!

Is it true? Has anyone seen them eat a shrimp? I just isolated my snail in a breeder net till I figure out what to so with him. I read that you need 2 to tango, so might drop him/her in my other tank with Ghost Shrimp and see how they fair. I am not too happy with my ghost shrimp for eating or harassing an Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp to death. :mad:

I need the guidance from the community. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.

Anything is possible I'd imagine. If the assassins haven't been fed in a long time then they might go for some shrimp cocktail. But with a ready supply of mts, then I'm sure your shrimp are safe. My assassins are in my 29 with ghost shrimp and they get along fine.

I have a separate tank with a FEW malaysian trumpet snails.

Tank 1: Soon to have cherrys they are in QT at the moment and will be in there shortly

Tank 2: Ghost Shrimp,few Danios, Few MTS, I think i'll move him/her in here.

Back
Top Bottom